Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cat's Ribs

Options
Theophan
Theophan Posts: 2,654

I posted recently on “Cat’s Eggfest Meatloaf,” which I made, and, especially with the “Jimsberry Sauce” that is part of it, it was wonderful!

Well, some other, like @fishlessman and @RRP turned me on to another recipe of hers, “Cat’s Baby Back Ribs,” saying it was “the best thing that ever happened to a baby back,” so I decided I’d try that, too!

I like spares better than baby backs, and what they have in my grocery store is St. Louis cut, so that’s what I used.  My wife doesn’t like “odd” things as well as I do, and I wasn’t sure the juniper berries in this recipe would be to her taste, so I cut the rack in half and did the other half just with Dizzy Pig Crossroads rub on it.

The recipe produces a “rub” that’s more of a thick marinade, I’d say, than a rub, but there wasn’t enough to soak it in a marinade, so I just did what the recipe said and applied it sort of like a rub.  I got started later than I had hoped, so I only let it sit for an hour and a half or so in the fridge, and then decided I’d turbo them, smoking (hickory) around 330-350°.

I overdid them a bit, but they were delicious (and my wife prefers overdone practically anything, so she thought they were perfect).  I was a little disappointed that they weren’t more distinctive, that I couldn’t taste the rub as well as I had expected.  The recipe wanted 3 hours or more to marinate, though, and I only did an hour and a half.  I do think I’ll try these again, but maybe let them marinate a lot longer.

Comments

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    They sure look tasty!
    Snellville, GA

• PirateBill
    PirateBill Posts: 259
    Options
    Looks awesome! 

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Heavy bark and I'd inhale those.  Nice ribs brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Nice experiment and thanks for posting. The ribs look good to me brother. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    I got to watch Cat (Cathy) cook those ribs at an Eggfest in Waldorf, MD about 17 years ago! It was really cool to watch her cook. She did them direct, and totally controlled her temp with the bottom vent...no top on the EGG. Quite a creative recipe, and my introduction to Juniper Berries in cooking. Looks like you did them righteously!
    Cheers
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    That sounds like a pretty unique recipe, I'll have to give that a go.  

I know now this totally wasn't the point of this thread, but I've never tried DP crossroads before.  What's it like? 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    im a fan of spares as well, definitely more time in the marinade. spares have more flavor as well, you could up the recipe. i like these as a change of pace and mix the cooks, some in my family prefer no sauce so these work out well

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Theophan
    Options
    Many thanks for all of the kind comments!  I do prefer ribs with a lot of bark, but I did overdo these.  Not sure how, exactly -- the toothpick was going in OK but not "like buttah" just a little while before I pulled them.  Maybe I need to think of colder butter...  <laughing>

And yeah, I saw that her directions were for direct.  Might try it, sometime, but I'm usually so happy with how the come out my usual indirect way, I just did them the way I usually do, except that the temp was considerably higher than usual for me.  I usually shoot for 250-275°.

And regarding the DP Crossroads, I really like it!  It's a bit like Dizzy Dust, but I find it much less sort of generic, and more interesting.  There are some herbal fragrances in there in addition to the spices.  I seem to use more and more home-made rubs, but I still love some of the Dizzy Pig line, and Crossroads is definitely one of them.

• Nature Boy
    Options
    You really should try direct ribs sometime. It takes a little bit more attention and fire control, but the flavor is over the top if done correctly. Appreciate the kind words about Crossroads and our spices. Happy cooking!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Theophan
    Options
    Appreciate the kind words about Crossroads and our spices. Happy cooking!
    Chris
    Thank you for the great rubs!  There are a few I haven't tried, but I've really liked all of the ones I've tried.  I especially love Swamp Venom, Jamaican Firewalk, Cow Lick, and Crossroads.  Wonderful stuff!
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Really appreciate the kind words @Theophan . Stop on by if you find yourself in Northern Virginia for any reason! Happy cookin'.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com