Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hitting the EggQuarters in Atlanta soon...

Options
We are making a slightly out of the way pit stop at HQ on the way home from our honeymoon.  I'm not that familiar with that area of Atlanta so what else is there to do?  Any good restaurants?  
We will be there Wednesday late afternoon.  Can't decide if we will hit the store that day or wait until Thursday morning to go.  
My fire ring cracked a few months ago so want to replace that.  I'm sure I'll find some other stuff we *have* to get.  
Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob

Comments

• BrewerAdam
    BrewerAdam Posts: 30
    Options
    Sounds like you are staying the night? Where are you staying? 

Not it a ton of stuff in that area, but you aren't too far from some cool neighborhoods. 
    L, S
    Atlanta, GA
  • Chicklet
    Chicklet Posts: 205
    Options
    Sounds like you are staying the night? Where are you staying? 

Not it a ton of stuff in that area, but you aren't too far from some cool neighborhoods. 
    Yep.  We are planning to spend the night. 
    Eat, drink and be merry

• gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    Watch traffic. Im not sure where your coming from but I 85 is still closed in both directions south of the BGE headquarters.

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• ScottyTooHotty
    Options
    I was actually going to make the same trip from PA on Thursday or Friday.  Is it worth an hour drive to see the headquarters?  I've heard its nothing special.  
    Doylestown - Pennsylvania
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I haven't been to any restaurants in the area but I have heard there are excellent authentic Asian restaurants on Buford highway. 

http://www.bonappetit.com/restaurants-travel/article/atlanta-buford-highway

If you are looking for a nicer area BGE isn't too far from Buckhead. There are tons of nice restaurants in Buckhead. 

One more option to consider is Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA. Roswell is a cool little historic town with tons of restaurants. I know they provide replacement parts and will swap them out but that may only be if you purchased there. It might be worth giving them a call. The nice thing about RH is they carry tons of 3rd party accessories like Ceramic Grill Store. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• BrewerAdam
    BrewerAdam Posts: 30
    Options
    +1 for Roswell Hardware. They have a great selection of eggs, charcoal, and things like the kick ash basket. A lot of good restaurants nearby in downtown Rosewell.  

Buford Highway has a lot of great restaurants as well. My favorite Chinese restaurant is called Chef Liu but it is best with a large group.

Fox Brother's BBQ is a staple of Atlanta and near little 5 points which is a interesting area. There is a great beer bar there called the Porter and a brew pub called Wrecking Bar.

West Midtown: a nice seafood restaurant called The Optimist, but it is a bit pricy. In that area there is also a good pizza place called Antico. 

Let us know where you end up.

L, S
    Atlanta, GA
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    If you stay or travel around Midtown...(I think they have a few locations.)

Go to Marlows Tavern. Order the Royale with Cheese. It's a Wagyu beef burger. And it melts in your mouth. 

Thank me later. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,270
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Go to Ponce City Market for grub and drinks. The Beltline is cool place to walk around. 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I was actually going to make the same trip from PA on Thursday or Friday.  Is it worth an hour drive to see the headquarters?  I've heard its nothing special.  
    Nope. The only "cool" thing is the small room w/ old vintage eggs. Thats worth 5 minutes max. Now, if you can arrange to stay and take a class that would be worth doing.

Roswell Hardware - just a lot of stuff, accessories, rubs and Yeti stuff. And, with traffic, 30-40 minutes from the Mothership. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    gamason said:
    Watch traffic. Im not sure where your coming from but I 85 is still closed in both directions south of the BGE headquarters.
    The Mothership is the first exit on 85 South from 285 - about 6-8 mils from the 85 bridge collapse that DOT says will be ready by Memorial Day.  BGE is actually close to the 85/285 junction, clearly visible from 85 but you go beyond it to the first exit and then backtrack on a service road. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I'd second Ponce City Market. Some awesome restaurants inside. I would suggest eating at El Super Pan and get a Media Dia with a Mexican Coke. It's a Cuban sandwich with chicharrones on it. Ohhhh mama its good. Also - at 3pm the rooftop opens with putt putt and carnival games. 
    For authentic Mexican there's Nuevo Laredo in SW Atlanta. Awesome! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Chicklet
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. We are definitely considering heading over to Roswell for the night and find a good restaurant.  We have eaten our way through Savannah so why stop now?  
    Eat, drink and be merry

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options

Roswell Hardware is a MUST STOP.  Tell Gary and the crew hello for me.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    If you're in Roswell for dinner hit Table and Main.  If the weather permits ask for a table on the porch or patio.  Great locally sourced food well prepared.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Chicklet
    Options
    Just left HQ.  Pretty safe to say that I hope I never have to go back there again.  The only reason we even felt like we *had* to was to replace that darn ring and I bought my Egg from a friend and the store where they purchased it is now out of Egg business.  No one was very friendly and even the VP of the company was there.  Oh well.  
    Onward to Roswell Hardware and Table and Main!  We love locally sourced grub.  

Eat, drink and be merry

• Chicklet
    Options
    Thank you very much for the Table and Main suggestion @GATraveller.  It was definitely worth going to and we loved the patio dining!  
    And huge props to @DaveRichardson for the Roswell hardware suggestion too.  We spent a good hour in there and dropped a little coin but had to show some restraint.  Gary mentioned an event they have in December that we are already planning to come back to attend.  
    So glad we stopped in Roswell!  It was a great way to end our honeymoon week!  
    Eat, drink and be merry

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    No worries. Glad you all had a good time. Gary and the crew there are great folks for sure. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!