Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Consumer Reports

Options
NPHuskerFL
NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
If you're a forum egghead this article won't likely tell you anything you didn't already know. But, nonetheless it's interesting the rest of the world knows we are, in fact, cult-like. 
http://www.consumerreports.org/cooking-baking/big-green-egg-grill-review/
LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL

Comments

• dopey
    dopey Posts: 201
    Options
    Definitely not the grill of choice for someone to cook hot dogs on the weekend..  We know that we're a different breed....
    What I do when I'm black out drunk is none of my business...

John Central CT
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,094
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Say what!  It does nothing for my brats I am likely to cook?  Blasphemy.  Plus low&slow is 330?  CR must turbo everything.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    Options
    dopey said:
    Definitely not the grill of choice for someone to cook hot dogs on the weekend..  We know that we're a different breed....
    It could be if you get a Mini or MiniMax. 
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thanks for the link! I liked the article and think it was a fair and honest assessment. I'm NOT sure that the typical consumer who lives and breaths by what CR says is going to become an egger though - but that's just my tainted view based on the few CR faithfuls I've known over the years.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Kind of a useless piece.  Shouldn't they make a comparison with other Kamado style grills?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    They could have mentioned the warranty. 

Little Rock, AR

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    No mention of warranty either.

It is cool to see a review by an individual who was handed a BGE with no understanding of its capabilities or functions.  I have a few friends who got the BGE because it is a status symbol and they only grill hotdogs.  They hate it because they don't understand it.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    im kinda wondering if this guy was cooking an unopened can of beans or using a pressure cooker in the egg or using white gas to light it. i cant get my egg to explode

Fred Schirk · Ryerson UniversityMy green egg exploded when I closed the dampers after smoking a salmon. The explosion caused burning coals to ignite my patio. The ensuing fire burned down half my patio and miraculosly not damage my house, due to quick response from the local firedepartment.
    It was extremely windy. Wind probably fueled the charcoal to an extreme temperasure causing the explosion. After reporting this to Green Egg there was no reply or compensation.
    The unit was about 10 years old. This unit should be tested for high heat and duration. It's dangerous!

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    At least this one didn't say it was difficult to add charcoal while cooking. I've seen that one as a complaint. Obviously not written by an experienced griller.

Bob
    Cooking on the coast
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    They once said Old Milwaukee was the best beer in America... That's a credibility killer. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    im kinda wondering if this guy was cooking an unopened can of beans or using a pressure cooker in the egg or using white gas to light it. i cant get my egg to explode

Fred Schirk · My green egg exploded when I closed the dampers after smoking a salmon. The explosion caused burning coals to ignite my patio. The ensuing fire burned down half my patio and miraculosly not damage my house, due to quick response from the local firedepartment.
    It was extremely windy. Wind probably fueled the charcoal to an extreme temperasure causing the explosion. After reporting this to Green Egg there was no reply or compensation.
    The unit was about 10 years old. This unit should be tested for high heat and duration. It's dangerous!
    Amazing feat of grill skill there.  My guess is his kamado blew off the edge of his patio.  None of my eggs have ever blown up.  When I shut the dampers and close the lid there is not enough oxygen to support an explosion with charcoal.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    Options
    Other than the usual KJ comment and the guy who blew up his egg, the comments were more informative than the article.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Complimentary I would say.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    dopey said:
    It could be if you get a Mini or MiniMax. 
    Other than a lot less space to cook them, what does either do for my hot dogs that the $30 Smokey Joe doesn't?

I agree with JIC - doesn't really seem to be a point.  The last sentence sums it up: 

All of which is to say, the Egg is definitely not for the casual summer griller. But if you grill or smoke meats year-round or you routinely make coal-fired pizza, it might be worth considering this extraordinarily rare breed.

I feel like you can write that sentence about anything.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Having owned and operated both for some time, his assessment is spot on.  Year round, being the biggest convenience for me in IL.  I have used all Webers in unfavorable conditions, which require more fuel and babysitting and windblocks, but it can be done. 

This article may be a little hard to swallow for the folks with green glasses, and kool-aid mustaches.  You know, the cat who thinks the BGE chicken is the best evvah. Lol
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    If you like a dry chicken leg, best steer clear of the Big Green Egg
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • tenpenny_05
    tenpenny_05 Posts: 286
    Options
    Focker said:
     You know, the cat who thinks the BGE chicken is the best evvah. Lol
    I feel like I should be offended by this quote...
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    That's just focker being focker. 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• camofreak
    camofreak Posts: 161
    Options
    I like Consumer Reports. And they did a descent job here, but that low and slow line is a joke. I have no problem doing 225 for hours without touching anything. Also I love cooking brats on mine. Whenever I cook chicken I usually throw on a pack of brats and our guests rave over them. Something about adding that smoke and the ceramic not drying everything out.
    Green Eggin' in South Carolina
    Go Gamecocks!!!
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    A reasonably accurate story from CR. It would be nice to see them do a comparison of all kamodas though, match eggs to quasi eggs. I actually looked at a Kamoda Joe classic yesterday but ended up spending the money on my first bike in 30 years, 24 speeds and aluminum frame.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    No question "we" are a cult. Hands down the best warranty and generally the best dealer service makes BGE worth the extra Greenbacks or Loonies, depending where you might call home, IMHO.
    Further to @Focker post above, I still use the Weber for quick grilling, ready to go in minutes. As far as cooking goes, the older KJs are pretty much the same as an egg, that's what got me interested in kamados. For cooking experience, I prefer the Primo, for dealer support not so much. Warranty done with Primo directly, thankfully not needed to date.  

@NPHuskerFL - Thanks for sharing the CR article!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    camofreak said:
    I like Consumer Reports. And they did a descent job here, but that low and slow line is a joke. I have no problem doing 225 for hours without touching anything. Also I love cooking brats on mine. Whenever I cook chicken I usually throw on a pack of brats and our guests rave over them. Something about adding that smoke and the ceramic not drying everything out.
    I don't like CR; I think they have a lot of biases in a lot of areas.

And while this article isn't really bad, they could have done so much better. That tendency to hug the middle of the road is one of the things I don't like about them.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    dopey said:
     I use my egg for hot dogs on the weekend.
    NOLA
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Meh, the article was fine. Their point was that an egg is probably not for the dude that cooks burgers on memorial day, then dogs on the 4th, then closes out the summer labor day weekend with a steak. 

Little Rock, AR

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Meh, the article was fine. Their point was that an egg is probably not for the dude that cooks burgers on memorial day, then dogs on the 4th, then closes out the summer labor day weekend with a steak. 
    The dude that does that, is not a dude, but a dudet. As his man card has been revoked. 
    Thanks for the laugh.Focker said:
    Having owned and operated both for some time, his assessment is spot on.  Year round, being the biggest convenience for me in IL.  I have used all Webers in unfavorable conditions, which require more fuel and babysitting and windblocks, but it can be done. 

This article may be a little hard to swallow for the folks with green glasses, and kool-aid mustaches.  You know, the cat who thinks the BGE chicken is the best evvah. Lol
    And Brandon for laugh number 2.  I need to find those glasses...
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Focker said:

I bet dishwasher chicken is the bees knees.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Focker said:

I bet dishwasher chicken is the bees knees.
    Have only done poultry twice, not sure why, with rub as the only treatment..results did not disappoint.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Foil or no foil? Bwahahahaha
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Thanks for the link,  and while i am no where near the culinary level of most on this site, i am honored to be comsidered an egghead!   Or perhaps a plebe egghead in training....

The review was middle of the road, not disparaging and not overly effusive about  the awesome capabilities of the bge.   But, if i never knew anything about the bge and had an interest in cooking, this review would get me to think about a bge investment.