Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Older Egg Insight

erikjs71erikjs71 Posts: 68
edited May 2017 in Forum Feedback
Hello all..

..brand new to the forum here.  I've been using a pretty old BGE for a year or so.  I inherited it from my father-in-law.  It's got to be at least 20 years old.  

From a measurement standpoint, it seems to be a small.  But the Small/Medium DF Metal Top is too small, and the Med/Lg is to big.  The measurements seem to be a little larger than a small but not big enough for a Medium.

I'd like to replace the bands, but not sure if they'll fit or not.  

Does anyone know anything about this Egg?  Where the sizes different back in the 90's?

Is there a place to find replacement parts that fit?  

Any insight will help.  

The Egg works awesome!!  

Pics below:

Comments

• td66snrftd66snrf Posts: 1,367
    First off, welcome.  Secondly what are the dimensions? 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 23,014
    you could call bruce bohanon at the mother ship and see if they have the old ones covered in dust some place.  its before the dual function sliding top, it just had the spinning daisy wheel back then
  • SaintJohnsEggerSaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,253
    Welcome to the group. We will help you get this worked out and spend all your money. 

Some of th she guys have had eggs for years and are sure to know the answer to your questions 
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.

1 wife, 4 kids, 3 dogs, 1 cat, 1 bird, 1 Large Egg 10/28/16 and 1 MiniMax 04/29/17

KAB, Adjustable Rig, PSWoo, FlameBoss 200, SmokeWare Chimney Cap

• Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 7,905
    the one on the right

msdaisyjpg
    That's cool. Thanks for posting photo. Did not know older top was like that.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
    Photo Egg said:
    the one on the right

msdaisyjpg
    that has to be an old photo, tim m on the chair, i have not seen his posts in decades.
  • RRPRRP Posts: 22,052
    Photo Egg said:
    the one on the right

msdaisyjpg
    that has to be an old photo, tim m on the chair, i have not seen his posts in decades.
    After Tim moved to the Outerbanks as a realtor he must have fallen into a sand dune there! 
    L, M, S, &  Mini
    And oh yes...also a 17" BlackStone gas fired griddle! 
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    Re- gasketing AMERICA one yard at a time!
    RRP said:
    Photo Egg said:
    the one on the right

msdaisyjpg
    After Tim moved to the Outerbanks as a realtor he must have fallen into a sand dune there! 
    i wonder if he knows his site is still up =)

http://www.tm52.com/bge/
  • erikjs71erikjs71 Posts: 68
    td66snrf said:
    First off, welcome.  Secondly what are the dimensions? 
    The grid size is 13"
    The total egg diameter from the outer edges is 14.25"
    The approximate height of the egg is 23"
    EVERYONE:  Thank you for your responses!!  Honestly, I just want to sell it, and get a new one.  I want a Large Egg, and I am making a table for it.  

Any suggestions on what I could price it at?  I was thinking $300 or so.  Too much??  
    Where are you located? $300 sounds high to me for a 20 year old egg. But I'm no expert.

1 wife, 4 kids, 3 dogs, 1 cat, 1 bird, 1 Large Egg 10/28/16 and 1 MiniMax 04/29/17

North GA
    Where are you located? $300 sounds high to me for a 20 year old egg. But I'm no expert.
    Just found one from the '70s for $200 so your price doesn't sound so bad after all

• FockerFocker Posts: 8,281
    Looks like a small.

Original therm probably needs replaced with a Tel-Tru, bands look jacked.  Looks like newer nomex, and DFMT.

$200 would be more like it, in its current condition.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Focker said:
    Looks like a small.

Original therm probably needs replaced with a Tel-Tru, bands look jacked.  Looks like newer nomex, and DFMT.

$200 would be more like it, in its current condition.
    Focker,  yeah. Ive had to retighten the bands a few times.  yes. the top is new because it didn't have one.. the small top was too small, so i have to use a large top with about 3 layers of gasket.  it actually works!  the bands are actually not as bad as they look.. the gasket is too wide for the egg, so is hangs over.. but it works.. 

the whole problem is really cosmetic.. current replacement parts don't fit the older models.  i need to try eBay or something.

thanks for the comments!
    I think Im gonna lower it to $225, see if I get a few hits.. its on craigslist.