Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MARINATED SOCKEYE SALMON and GRILLED PARMESAN GARLIC ASPARAGUS

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
Sorry for the all caps. Copy and paste. Raised direct at 400*.   Salmon marinade here;  http://wannabite.com/the-best-salmon-marinade-recipe/#_a5y_p=3406944 .  Asparagus recipe here; http://therecipecritic.com/2012/06/perfectly-grilled-parmesan-asparagus/

Salmon to 125* IT. Still somewhat dry but I attribute that to my lack of grilling salmon knowledge and that the fish is somewhat small and not as oily as farm raised. Will do again though but cut back on the crushed red pepper just a little. 
Looking forward now to when King Salmon is in season. Trying to eat fish at least once a week. 

I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

Options
    I forgot to add that I added a few slices of purple onion to the asparagus just because and a small handful of alder chips during the salmon cook. 
    Member since 2009
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Great lookin' cook, but, wow!! $16 a pound!! I've been buying ALDI Pink Salmon (wild, US caught. frozen) for < $4 a pound. And I get Omega 3's 2-3 times a week for about a buck a pop! Yeah, Sockeye is better, but...... $16???!!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

edited May 2017
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. Only been to Aldi a few times but I'll check the salmon when I go next. First time I went I didn't know what to do. I tried to get a cart and was like, WTF? 25€ for a cart? F that. I'll get a basket. What?  No baskets?  Damn I'll just carry $h!t in my hands then. I go to check out and the checker hands me my purchases without a bag and again I'm like Wha?  I'm double arm carrying my stuff to the car when I realized what their deal was. I'll go back again with bags and a quarter for a cart. 
    Member since 2009
  • SmokinTiger81
    SmokinTiger81 Posts: 746
    edited May 2017
    Options
    You internal temp at 125 sounds right.  I usually cook salmon on a cedar plank, helps protect the meat and keeps it from falling apart.  Usually cook on top of adj rig at about 275 to 300 dome temp to 125 to 130 internal temp and then rest.  The price does sound high.  I think costco has had sockeye for 8 to $9 range.  
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Looks great! I grill mine around 400ish direct usually 3 min per side until flakes easy. Its real good with lemon pepper
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    500 said:
    Thanks for the tip. Only been to Aldi a few times but I'll check the salmon when I go next. First time I went I didn't know what to do. I tried to get a cart and was like, WTF? 25€ for a cart? F that. I'll get a basket. What?  No baskets?  Damn I'll just carry $h!t in my hands then. I go to check out and the checker hands me my purchases without a bag and again I'm like Wha?  I'm double arm carrying my stuff to the car when I realized what their deal was. I'll go back again with bags and a quarter for a cart. 
    Yeah, Aldi is definitely a different experience. Mine closed mid April for a remodel. I'm still going thru withdrawal!

The salmon package looks like this...
    Image result for aldi frozen salmon
    One lb packages that contain 4-5 individually vac sealed portions. So, 4 oz each at most. I've had better salmon, but not for $4/lb!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

Options
    Can't beat that price for wild caught or even farm raised for that matter.   I'm a label reader. By what I've read it must state country of origin. Where's it from?  
    Member since 2009
  • Carolina Q
    edited May 2017
    Options
    US caught, but processed and packaged in China. Apparently a quite common practice. No idea why they do that, or HOW they do it for $3.79 a pound!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut