Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Help me pick a 7 or 8" Android Tablet

Aviator
Aviator Posts: 1,757
As the title says....
I am an android type, have an iPad for a while now which I use strictly to fly with.
Somehow I find it not helpful in day to day activities and reading, besides 10" is too big and too heavy.
I tried a cheap 65$ android tablet from Walmart and like its form factor and ease to tote around. But 20 days now and there is a huge defect, growing on the display. He is going back.

So here is what I want. Android 5 or 6 upgradable, It should have a GPS in it. Not just aGPS. 
Wifi only is fine. 

Thanks for your time and knowledge.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,326
    I've had a Google Nexus 7 for a few years and have been very happy with it. Been looking to upgrade but it appears that Google no longer offers the Nexus 7. 

Looking forward to what folks might recommend also.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    As an IT Pro, and light gamer, I love the Nvidia Shield K1, you can get a controller that connects to is and it has the ability to stream to a big screen, or connect directly via HDMI cable. Great price as well. Otherwise I have always has great luck with samsung tablets. I still love my note 10.1 but as you mentioned, you don't want the big screen so the shield will be great for you. 

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Aviator said:
    As the title says....
    10" is too big and too heavy.

That's what she said.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    PS, if the WEIGHT difference between a 9 inch table and a 10 inch tablet is causing problems, you might need to get to the gym.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    M_Jason, I looked it up on Amazon. Feedback is horrible! Especially with battery life. 
    Also, what do you think about the Huawei Mediapad M3

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• MN-Egger
    MN-Egger Posts: 133
    I just recently replaced my Nexus tablet with Samsung's brand new Galaxy Tab S3.  The tablet is pricey but amazingly quick and has a Super AMOLED screen that is so vivid. Also has 4 speakers and the S pen. I didn't think I would use the pen but find that I use it 90% of the time and it will never need batteries like other pens. 

Take a peek here: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/samsung-galaxy-tab-s3
    --
    Jeff
    Near Twin Cities, MN
    Large BGE
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    I was amused this weekend. My 82 year old mother finally bought a smart phone a couple of months  ago. When the memory got full she had to call both of her computer system administrator son in laws in to figure out how to upload pictures from her LG Android to her windows 8 lap top. With the exception of the one son in law all of the rest of the family is happily Apple.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    I had a nexus 7 till my kid broke it. It was kinda old anyways. I need to find a replacement. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx