Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Intro and Questions

Options
Hello, all. I've been lurking for a few weeks here, more an in the shadows kind of guy, but did have a couple of questions as I prepare to purchase an XL BGE. I have had and used a Weber smokey mountain smoker and Weber grill, passed those along to my (adult) son recently, with plans to purchase the egg in a week or so. When I go low & slow, I tend to fill up the smoker, then vacuum seal and freeze. If I'm cooking butts, it's four butts, ribs, as many racks of ribs that will fit, even eight chickens at once on the Weber bullet. So while there are only the two of us now, I figure I'll continue in the same vein and do a lot at once.

So on to my questions.

1) I understand there are recent changes to the XL (hinge and shape of top); how can I know I'm getting the one with the changes (improvements, hopefully) when I shop the couple of places around here that sell them?

2) If I purchase the items below from The Ceramic Grill Store, do I still need the plate setter from BGE?

XL Woo Adjustable Rig Combo: 
16" X 29" Oval Stainless Grid: 
XL Slide Guide w/crossbar: 
18" Stainless drip pan: 

Anything else needed for routine grilling, routine low & slow, plus pizzas and even wok cooking? As an aside, I have a thermapen, as well as a BBQ guru which I did not pass along to my son as I will be buying an adapter for the BGE.

Thanks for any and all answers, and thanks for the wealth of info you (non gender specific) guys post routinely.

Rick

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    edited April 2017
    Options
    First up-welcome aboard and continue to enjoy the q journey.
    I do not have the XL but am not familiar with any recent design changes.  I do know BGE went to a more rounded (higher) dome but that was a few years ago.  The hinge assembly I have seen addressed is for the LBGE.  I would give BGE HQ a call and see what they have to say.
    Regarding your adds, You definitely are going the right road with products from CGS.  It appears from your list that you do not have a heat deflector (stone) planned from them.  The platesetter is a heat deflector and would not work with the combo.  You need a stone (CGS has them).  I would call CGS, explain your plans for the XL and you will get steered in the right direction.  
    Hopefully the XL owners will be along.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    As cap said above, that design change is a few years old now.  I can't imagine dealers are selling super-old inventory. 

As for the CGS stuff, you're on the right track, but will need the stone to cook indirect.  As cap said above, call them and they'll help a ton. I would advise cgs woo + stone over plate setter.

welcome and enjoy.  Hope to see some posts soon.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • RickLRMS
    RickLRMS Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, lousubcap and johnnyp. I must have been reading an older thread on the design change. I'll give CGS a call, see what they advise.

Rick
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I have been extremely happy with my platesetter in my XL. I have done 4 butts at a time or 5-6 racks of ribs, but that has been the extent of my "big" cooks. I also have the pizza stone. Turns out great food. Welcome and hold onto your wallet  :):)  
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Platesetter typically is part of the package. Along with cover and ash tool. Maybe a glove and definitely a bag of BGE lump. Welcome and I'm looking forward to your inputs on smoking. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    @GrillSgt - you definitely found a great dealer and deal.  Every interaction I have had has resulted in an upcharge for the setter.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    edited April 2017
    Options
    RickLRMS said:

2) If I purchase the items below from The Ceramic Grill Store, do I still need the plate setter from BGE?

XL Woo Adjustable Rig Combo: 
    16" X 29" Oval Stainless Grid: 
    XL Slide Guide w/crossbar: 
    18" Stainless drip pan: 

Rick

FWIW I bought the 18" stainless drip pan and have never used it as it's intended.  It's more of a tray with only about an inch of depth, so we use it as a serving platter.  If I do anything that's going to drip much I use a cheapo foil pan.  For nothing I use a sheet of AF to protect the placesetter.

When I bought my Large I shopped several competitors and ended up with a good price on the egg, custom table, placesetter, ash tool, stainless and CI grids, a bag of BGE lump, and a bag of apple chips.  It was all setup and we carried it home in the back of the truck.  Dealers have quite a bit of leeway in accessories included so don't hesitate to ask for more. 

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @GrillSgt - you definitely found a great dealer and deal.  Every interaction I have had has resulted in an upcharge for the setter.  

BG KY
  • RickLRMS
    Options
    johnnyp said:

As for the CGS stuff, you're on the right track, but will need the stone to cook indirect.

Meant to reply earlier, the adjustable rig combo includes the stone. I bought the XL BGE without the plate setter, but with the stone (17.5) from CGS there's a fair amount of space around the outside. Might should have gone ahead and picked up the plate setter.

Rick
  • RickLRMS
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Platesetter typically is part of the package. Along with cover and ash tool. Maybe a glove and definitely a bag of BGE lump. Welcome and I'm looking forward to your inputs on smoking. 
    The places around here had no package deals. Price on the XL BGE ranged from $1,199 to $1,059. Lowest price was closest place, they also had lowest price on wheeled nest. I bought there, assembled myself (with wife's help). I'm sending a dictionary to BGE in Atlanta so the folks who wrote the instructions will have some words available when they do the next version of the instructions, not just use pictures. Words would have been useful in a couple of places.

Rick