Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maiden voyage [ ribs ]

Options
Honestly never cooked ribs in my life. Well. I've braised short ribs many times. But never this! I'm sure I'm doing everything wrong... But I have to learn somehow. Lol. Going for a half rack of baby back and beef. Prep: Pulled the membranes. Slathered hot dog mustard w/ Butt Rub. Got the BGE stabilized at 250˚ Drip pan in place. Ribs just hit the grill! Thinking the 2-2-1 plan should work today. Well see...

Moved from upper left to Denver, CO | BGE LG & MMX + Kotaigrill [Hibachi]

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,405
    Options
    However you get there, tooth-pick test for the finish.  And what follows is a rib method discussion FYI-
    • All rib cooks are some variation around X-0-0 which translates into the following: Basically ribs are cooked as usual (bone side down for me) for the first X hours. Then they are removed from the cooker and wrapped with liquid (Q sauce, some other liquid for flavoring etc) in a foil pouch with the meat side down. This becomes step -0- mentioned above. The sealed ribs are then returned to the cooker.  At the end of the "0" time-frame, the ribs are removed from the foil and then put back on the BGE for the final "0" time-frame.  This is when sauce is added if your desire.  X-X-X defines the cook cycle.  Those of us X-0-0 run without any of the above extras.  It's all in what you like.  

The finish-line:  use a toothpick and insert in the thickest meat-in and out with no resistance and finished. Also look for a good meat pull-back on the bones. 

As with all things BGE-many ways to get there.  Go with one and then note the outcome.  Change up one variable the next time if you want and see how it turns out.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    How did it go? I love ribs on the egg. I'm too lazy to do the foiling though. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • acolle
    acolle Posts: 133
    Options
    I'm on the final leg. The beef pulled back (off the bone) during the steaming in the 2nd leg. Still resists a tooth pick. The pork seems about where it should be. Meat temp is about 165 on both. Just tossed them back on the grill to finish them.
  • acolle
    Options
    Advice needed! I'll pull the ribs when they hit 190º... Should I let them rest for a period of time before I dig into them?
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @acolle - pay no attention to the temperature-ribs are finished by feel-
    quoted again: "The finish-line:  use a toothpick and insert in the thickest meat-in and out with no resistance and finished. Also look for a good meat pull-back on the bones."  If you don't have the probe with no resistance then you are not there.  And 190*F sounds too low anyhow.  fWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • acolle
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Lousubcap, Thank you. The meat pulled back a lot (on the beef) while I was steaming in leg two. But there was still resistance on the toothpick. So I dropped them both back on the grill to finish them with BBQ sauce to add to the finish. I might have added a little too much apple juice to the pan during the second part... Possibly this made the beef pull back so soon? Might omit the apple juice next time. 

Still curious though... Do I let the ribs rest after I pull them? Or are they ready to go off the grill?
  • acolle
    edited April 2017
    Options

Ok. Wow. I think I might have impressed myself (was thinking I was going to mess this one up). The beef ribs turned out to be close perfect IMO... Even if the meat pulled way back before they were done. Some of the baby back was just a tad dry. But it was all still so good. Super happy camper. I did the 2-2-1... Though the one turned out to be more like a 1.5 to pass the toothpick test. I used hot dog mustard w/ Butt Rub for prep and then a Laurelwood BBQ sauce (local to OR) in the end. #yes

• Ima_good_egg
    Options
    Looks great!
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Way to ride it out and achieve success.  Patience is the watch-word.  Congrats.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Beef ribs always pull way back when I cook them compared to pork. They both look great!!!  Nice job. 

Little Rock, AR