Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wireless Thermometer Opinions Needed!!

I am in the market for a wireless thermometer and could use some help.  At first, the Thermoworks Smoke seemed like the sure winner.. BUT, upon contacting them regarding the benefits of the soon-to-be released wifi gateway, I was disappointed to learn that for $89, during the cook, all you get is the ability to check your temps wherever there is Wifi. (store, etc)  You can only download the cook info w/graph after completion.  You do not get any real-time graphical info on your cook, so you can not really see when your brisket or butt is in the stall.  Plus, it looks cool!   In my opinion, the wifi gateway and app is pointless, unless you have transmission issues with the stock unit due to distance of interference.

I love the quality of Thermoworks products,  but I think $189.00 for the unit and wifi gateway is too expensive for the lack of functionality.

So, the search continues....

Anyone have an opinion on the Fireboard?  It is wifi/bluetooth.  All info is cloud based, gives you real time info w/graphs, allows you to save data on all cooks.  But, I understand this is a newer product and with this type of solution, I guess you would need this company to stick around to benefit from the cloud service.

Any other suggestions?   
Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Both systems I've owned, for which I'm posting to bad-mouth, are simply wireless and don't communicate via bluetooth nor wifi.
    My first was the popular Maverick 732.  Not intuitive to program, membrane switches which I'm not fond of, but it worked.  Twice.  One of the probes wouldn't register the third cook; I bought a replacement pair, and one of them didn't work either, after some swapping I realized the 1/8" plug receptacle, within the transmitter, was bad.  
    My second was a "Therm-Pro", not talked about much here (it was an "Amazon Recommends") had actual pushbuttons, was easy as heck to program, and it worked.  Twice.  SAME DAMN BROKEN 1/8" FEMALE CONNECTOR!  
    If I buy another unit*, it will be the Smoke.  I made the same mistake with "instant-read" thermometers; I bought several cheaper thermos, which either weren't "instant" (lost arm-hair), weren't accurate, or had a probe the diameter of a Louisville Slugger.  It pays to buy right, the first time.  I'm also curious about why you want instant graphs, via the cloud; it's just barbeque.
    Never heard of the Fireboard.  

*IF I buy another unit.  Since installing my Kick-Ash Baskets, I've never had a fire die through clogged air-holes, and don't really need one anymore.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• bob.bud
    bob.bud Posts: 297
    A good option in my book is the Smobot controller. You get temp control and the ability to check your egg and meat temp remotely.
    Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    I've had my Fireboard since last Thanksgiving. It's a solid unit and I really like it. There are a few threads here discussing the Fireboard. Here's one where I posted a pic of how I deal with all those probes/cables: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/2100404#Comment_2100404

You might also consider something like the FlamBoss controllers. You don't have to use the controller fan if all you want is remote access and graphing.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I still can't believe the number of people who buy this stuff! I have an old maverick, for unnecessary remote temp crap. Haven't used it in a good 5 years. Don't waste your money. Spend it on a T-pen. Or meat.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    I still can't believe the number of people who buy this stuff! I have an old maverick, for unnecessary remote temp crap. Haven't used it in a good 5 years. Don't waste your money. Spend it on a T-pen. Or meat.

+1 on the Thermapen. Most useful accessory I have.

XL BGE
    MD
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945

I'm lazy, I like sleep, and screwing up a single cook w/quality meat will waste more money than a controller.

I've used a Maverick 732, Maverick 733, Smobot, Flameboss, and BBQ Guru.

I prefer the 732 to the 733, but really prefer the Flameboss and Smobot to both of the Maverick units.

The one I haven't tried, but really intrigues me is the Fireboard.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • bob.bud
    bob.bud Posts: 297
    My money, my choice, and I chose to buy some piece of mind. The ability to glance at my phone or any connected device and not have to go out into the bitter cold or the sweltering heat to check on temp is priceless in my book. When it is close to temp, I go out and do a quick check with the Thermapen.

@ lowandslow: Your toys, your choice... lot's of opinions out here, weed through them and make the right choice for your needs.
    Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta
  • My Maverick is four years old and still going strong.
  • I still can't believe the number of people who buy this stuff! I have an old maverick, for unnecessary remote temp crap. Haven't used it in a good 5 years. Don't waste your money. Spend it on a T-pen. Or meat.

what do you use to monitor internal temperature?
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Graphs and charts?  Is this a desk job or BBQ?  How about a graph for the speed my hammock sways at?  Or a chart showing the frequency I reach for my stainless lowball.  Maybe we could tabulate the average length of song on the stereo.

I'm just poking at my techy friends (who probably turn out better Q than I)
    Phoenix 
  • Carolina Q
    what do you use to monitor internal temperature?
    Nothing. Same thing I used before I got an egg. Same thing my mom used for that matter. And her mom. I know the egg is gonna hold temp and I know about how long the cook is gonna take, so I know when to start checking.

But as mentioned (twice), your money, your choice. 

blasting said:

Graphs and charts?  Is this a desk job or BBQ?  How about a graph for the speed my hammock sways at?  Or a chart showing the frequency I reach for my stainless lowball.  Maybe we could tabulate the average length of song on the stereo.

Better Q? Could be I guess... but not because of graphs and charts! :rofl:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    I will offer that any extended range monitoring system has merit if you then have some ability to react to the news and not just read it.  As above, your $$ so depend as you wish.  Above all, have fun.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited April 2017
    blasting said:

@blasting ... Yes, graphs and charts!!!! Now, just go back to sleep and leave the kids alone.  With your Luddite discussion, you're encouraging Michael.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Carolina Q
    :rofl:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Thermoworks Smoke and Thermoworks Thermapen. Hands down the best there is. 
  • jetman96
    jetman96 Posts: 127
    I'm happy with my CyberQ for low and slow. It's not cheap or needed, but I like it. It's a closed-loop system, which can be used over wifi directly, or through a browser over the internet. Then, if you need to make adjustments to your pit temperature, you can do so without even being home. I also use "The Pit Pal BBQ APP" with my iPhone to track pit and food temp. The app integrates directly with the CyberQ. Below is an example of a turbo-butt cook that I tracked. 

Cincinnati, OH
    Large BGE
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    I am definitely buying something. I no longer feel I need one for overnights, I'm comfortable that I can set up for that, plus long cooks are forgiving. What I want one for is IT for sensitive cooks, rare beef, m rare lamb, etc. Those can be "ruined" in seconds. 
  • chasgh
    chasgh Posts: 64
    I use the Tappecue and it does all you ask for including wifi.  I rarely see it mentioned here and I really dont understand why?  Its worked well for me.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I really like the looks of the smoke, but at $189 you are getting close to the price of a Flameboss WiFi. They recently came out with a newer model (300) and I think the only difference is it supports multiple probes. If you only care about a meat and pit probe then the 200 is a pretty good deal right now. 

https://www.firecraft.com/product/flame-boss-200-wifi-universal-fb200-u

You can access all the data through the web. I don't think they have an app but the web site appears to be formatted well for a mobile device.  

One thing to be aware of is you do need to plug it in or buy the optional battery pack.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lowandslow
    lowandslow Posts: 122
    Thank you all for the info.  I also appreciate the witty banter.  Fun to see how those who favor wireless thermometers/temp control devices are bbq tech/gear junkies or just plain lazy.  Those who oppose, are just purists or BBQ "Uni-bombers" who oppose any technology as part as their BBQ.

UPDATE TO MY ORIGINAL POST ON SMOKE WIFI GATEWAY*****   Thermoworks contacted me after noticing my post. It turns out some wrong info was given to me by a Customer Service Rep....The wifi gateway will give live graphical info in addition to the live temps.. Good to hear and much appreciated they reached out.  
    Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg
  • RPaxman
    RPaxman Posts: 1
    edited April 2017
    In response to lowandslow in the original post... It sounds like you got some incorrect information about the ThermoWorks Smoke Gateway.  If you got that from one of our people, please accept our apologies!  

The Smoke Gateway comes with an app that can be used on any Apple or Android device, to which it connects from your home--or any--WiFi, with data stored in the Cloud.  It certainly includes real-time data and graphs as well as alarms and alarm settings.  All data is accessible / downloadable from the Cloud.  And alert notifications will be received on your device even without having the app open (thereby sparing your device's batteries).  Gateway is compatible with all previously sold Smokes, so no upgrade or adjustment is required for anyone who already owns a Smoke.  You're going to love it.

Rozanne Paxman
    Chief Customer Advocate 
    ThermoWorks