Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie Egger

Options
OK.  I just got my BGE this week.  I did a turkey and burgers this weekend.
Mixed results as I get used to working with this grill.

How much charcoal should I be putting in my egg?  When I did the turkey I ran out halfway through.
When I did the burgers I got it nice an how.  However 2 hours later the grill hasn't cooled down. (I closed all the openings)

Also what should I try next on the BGE?

Comments

• VB_egger
    VB_egger Posts: 364
    Options
    Welcome,  I always fill mine all the way up unless I'm trying to go super hot. 

If if your vents are closed give it some time. The ceramic will still feel warm for awhile. 
    VA Beach
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Welcome aboard.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Mikea5232
    Mikea5232 Posts: 76
    edited April 2017
    Options
     Make sure you use the snuffer cap and not the daisy wheel contraption. Like was mentioned it will take a few hours to completely cool down. 
  • bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    Options
    It will take a long time to completely cool after a hot cook.  What size egg do you have?  Fill it up with lump at least to the fire ring. In a large, that lasts me easily 12+ hours. You can really fill it to just below the conveggtor if you want. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    What should you try next?

How about a pork butt. Hard to mess one up and they are great confidence builders. Plus they taste great too.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options
    Or pizza!  One of my favorites on the egg
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    I agree with filling your egg with lump to the bottom of the fire ring for all cooks (I fill mine up a little further for long low and slows). It does take some time for the egg to cool down, your heating up a lot of ceramic. That's why it's best to catch your desired temp on the way up, rather than overshooting and and have to wait for it to cool down.

As for your next cook, I'd suggest a spatchcock chicken (Not too difficult and they have always turned out good for me) or pork shoulder (very forgiving, will give you experience with a low and slow). It will either be the best chicken you've ever had or the best pork you've ever had! Have fun with your new egg!

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    Welcome

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Ima_good_egg
    Options
    Welcome!
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • PirateBill
    PirateBill Posts: 259
    Options

Welcome I am pretty new also, I have found that the grill takes a while to cool down (don't usually put the cover on it till the next morning at best) also the best tool in my arsenal is the search bar located at the top right of the forum any question you got it has been answered no telling how many times that thing has saved the literal bacon.

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

welcome. enjoy the journey

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • camofreak
    camofreak Posts: 161
    Options
    Welcome! What size did you get? Aint it fun...
    Green Eggin' in South Carolina
    Go Gamecocks!!!
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Welcome aboard. 
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Welcome aboard!!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• PrivateJoker
    Options
    Thank you all.  I have a Large Egg.
    I've done several cooks now.  Yes filling up to the ring helped a lot.
    However..  I still appear to be chasing the temperature.  I'm not sure how to fix this.   I start the egg with the bottom all opened and the top off.  I let that go for about 7 minutes.  I then close the lid and leave the bottom open all the way and don't add a top.  After another 7 minutes I add the daisy wheel and start to adjust my temp from there.   What am I doing wrong???  
  • tenpenny_05
    tenpenny_05 Posts: 286
    Options
    What am I doing wrong???  
    I think you have too many moving parts. I light mine with the lid closed, wheel off, when I'm within 100 degrees of where I want to be, I put the daisy wheel on, but open, and close the bottom vent at least half way. Then make small adjustments from there.

For low temps, the bottom slider is going to be less than an inch open.
    For high temps it will be anywhere from an inch to wide open, depending on how hot you want it.
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Many ways to get there but for a low&slow I leave the dome and bottom vent full open until I get around a soft-balled sized quantity of lump going (~7-10 mins).  Then load the indirect hardware, shut the dome and slide the bottom vent to around 1" open  and install the DFMT.  Once within about 50*F of the target temp, I shut the bottom to about 1/4" +/- and the DFMT to petals only. Get it all stable and have at it.  FYI +/- 15-20*F on a L&S cook isn't gonna have much of an impact.  They key is stable.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    Options
    A thermapen instant read thermometer is a must to avoid overlooking meat as well, welcome and say good bye to your budget !
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.