Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How far from the house?

Options
How far from the house and siding, should the XL and table be?

Comments

• Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options
    My large is 2 feet from siding of my house along with my gas grill.
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    The handle is about 1 inch from the door wall so I can stand inside and open and cook without stepping outside. Yes it is under the overhang of the roof and no there is no staining of any of the vinyl siding after 409 cooks.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    My XL is about 2 feet from the side of the house and under a porch.
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Far enough away so that you can sleep well at night knowing it's not going to burn your house down if you do overnight cooks. 
    Snellville, GA

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,306
    Options
    My medium is 10 feet away, in the open, and on a concrete patio. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    Depends on your wall material. Brick, stone or concrete siding you don't have to worry about much. Anything wood or vinyl could be problematic. 
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    well said @Eggdicted_Dawgfan!
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    It is not just distance you need to think about. Sometimes sparks pop out of the bottom vent and go a long way. If it is not all concrete and brick it is good to have the bottom vent pointed away from anything that may burn.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Mine is 10' away from the house on a concrete patio. At the old house we rented I rolled my small out of the garage in its table after a couple drinks one night and had probably a foot between the vinyl siding and the eggamd it warped the siding. Personally I think the further the better.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    edited April 2017
    Options
    About a foot but I don't have siding- I think 3' should be more than enough. I wouldn't worry about it with the lid closed but lighting or searing with lid open I would want 2-3'

Greensboro, NC
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Siding scares the crap out of me with charcoal. That stuff might as well be a duraflame. 

Mine is like 30 feet from the house. Back of my house has siding. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    A foot from the house and under a porch. My exterior is rock and the table is in front of a door that is never used.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    After some research on house material durability:

The Three Little Pigs is a fable/fairy tale about three anthropomorphic pigs who build three houses of different materials. A big bad wolf blows down the first two pigs' houses, made of straw and sticks respectively, but is unable to destroy the third pig's house, made of bricks.

I think this is a remarkable allegory insofar as common sense is a pretty low bar in positioning the fire-containing cooker in proximity to the house based on the materials said house is constructed with.