Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Edit: Brisket level question

Options
Hans61
Hans61 Posts: 3,901
edited April 2017 in Beef
Got up at 5AM, stirred charcoal mixed in cherry chips then lit the fire. Trying the mustard pickle juice salt pepper lawrys.

Tossed on 1 hickory split then the brisket. Point to the back fat side down.

At 845 went to check and realized I should have used a drip pan (strong smell of beef drippings burning on platesetter) so I improvised and threw one in.

Think I saved it cause the aroma outside now is more akin to a steakhouse  restaurant 

1 question, how will cooking higher in the dome affect the cook? Should I dial the temp down at all? Had it rolling at 260
“There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
Coach Finstock Teen Wolf

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,499
    Options
    When I brick a packer (LBGE) due to its initial length, I am confident it does cook faster due to closer proximity to the dome and the radiant heat.  Same deal with multi-level cooks-why I rotate if trying the get all finished at around the same time.  Or not bother and fully expect those on the upper shelf to finish first.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hans61
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    When I brick a packer (LBGE) due to its initial length, I am confident it does cook faster due to closer proximity to the dome and the radiant heat.  Same deal with multi-level cooks-why I rotate if trying the get all finished at around the same time.  Or not bother and fully expect those on the upper shelf to finish first.  FWIW-
    That's what I was looking for thanks!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options
    7hr mark hit 160 in the flat foiled and back in she goes

Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options
    Didn't get a good pic was caught off guard as the moms demanded meat for the kids. Did burnt ends too very little left!
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Great result-nothing left is the best indicator of your outcome.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    pretty sure you nailed it!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hans61
    edited April 2017
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    pretty sure you nailed it!
    I think I was really darn close, I don't cook a lot of briskets but this one was tender, moist, in some parts a tad over done (had to slice thicker to not fall apart) just too much going on before I realized I had no $ shot for the thread. I was asked about the seasoning more than once, my bro in law didn't believe me that it was salt pepper and lawrys :-)
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options
    @lousubcap thanks for the earlier bit of wisdom and for checking back in at the end :-)
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Hans61-  not from Texas but somehow I have become drawn to brisket cooks.  Have hosed up several (mostly but not entirely flats) but I enjoy the many variables that can come into play every time with the cook.  BTW- SWMBO eggscape time is not to be discounted.  
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Looks juicy!  What was the internal temp it gave up at? 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Hans61
    Options
    @GoooDawgs it was temping anywhere from 199-203 when I foiled and placed in cooler. 
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options
    The leftovers with veggie salad. :-)
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Nice work.  Brisket is definitely my favorite cook because of the challenge.  You know you're doing something right when people don't believe the simplicity of ingredients compared to the complexity of flavor.  
    Thanks for sharing!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Great work! BTW, if you spray Easy Off oven cleaner on those plastic Eggmates, they will clean up like new. I haven't found any other cleaning product that works. 
  • Hans61
    Options
    Great work! BTW, if you spray Easy Off oven cleaner on those plastic Eggmates, they will clean up like new. I haven't found any other cleaning product that works. 

Yellow or blue? 
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Hans61 said:

Yellow or blue? 
    I don't think it matters. I don't think the fumes will bother you since you are outdoors.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Hans61 said:

Yellow or blue? 
    I don't think it matters. I don't think the fumes will bother you since you are outdoors.

I always liked more fumes. What? 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Hans61 said:

Yellow or blue? 

I always liked more fumes. What? 
    They are pretty nasty. No bueno