Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adventures of Smoking with a small egg

Options
saluki2007
saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
I've had my small Egg for a little over a year and this is only my second true smoke. Tipaclly use it for grilling or apps. Decided to change that today. Last time I had my KAB in and my temps were all over the place. Pulled it this time and put the stock grate in. So far so good. Trying to keep it around 250 at grid. Almost 9 pound butt.

Large and Small BGE
Central, IL

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    I use mine with the high-que grate and have had great success with L&S-just gotta really dial down the lower vent setting to hold the 250 +/- range.  Never have smoked anything greater than around an 8 lb butt.  With a full load of Rockwood I had plenty of remaining lump.  Enjoy the cook and follow-on eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thomasc18
    Thomasc18 Posts: 197
    Options
    I just used my kab the other day for a prime rib. I noticed I had to really turn down bottom opening to almost nothing where before it was about 3/4" to an 1" open. Crazy how the kab changes things. I left bottom grate in with kab. Couldn't imagine what it would be like if I took bottom grate out
    Madison, AL