Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question in Two Parts??

Options

1)  I'm not real happy with the airflow up through the bottom grate on my MEDIUM BGE once I get some ash buildup.. I wonder if I could use a large grate and raise the area below the grate??? Anyone ever done that??

2)  If I want to sear a steak is adding dried oak for instance to get the blaze really going as long as I don't overheat the egg

Thanks

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    You can do either. I'd recommend a hi que grate(or the kick ash basket) if you are still using the regular grate. This fixed my ash issues when I had my medium. You aren't going to overheat the egg, so wood would(heh) be fine, you just may have uneven heating.

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Echo what EggC said.  I would like to get a Kick Ash for mine, however I got one of the fire grates below (think I got it off Ebay for cheap) and it works very well.  If something happens to it though, I'll get a KAB.  

Picture below is not mine, but one from Google (I think from this site).  

Image result for medium big green egg fire grate

2 - Wouldn't be an issue, though if getting good air to lump charcoal, you shouldn't have an issue with "getting the flame going".  Then your oak is there for the smoke only, not as fuel.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    1) Get one of the aftermarket fire grates mentioned.

2) I've never tried cooking over a wood fire in the egg. Always heard it really doesn't work, just smoke. I suppose if you left the dome and bottom vent open, maybe. But it's a charcoal grill, not a stick burner. I think the charcoal will get hotter than wood.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options
    I agree with everything above. Upgrade fire grate and I have had my rockwood lump up to 700 with bge fire grate no problems
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    The medium with aftermarket fire grate, can be up to temp super fast.  It's a firecracker for sure.  My go to cooker for quick meals.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    2)  If I want to sear a steak is adding dried oak for instance to get the blaze really going as long as I don't overheat the egg
    The burning wood will have a nice colored flame.  But it will actually burn at a lower temp than charcoal - counter to what you want to do. Visible flame does not equate to higher temps.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• B747crew
    B747crew Posts: 158
    Options
    The burning wood will have a nice colored flame.  But it will actually burn at a lower temp than charcoal - counter to what you want to do. Visible flame does not equate to higher temps.

Thanks to all who responded.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    No issues with my medium.....I do clean out often however.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • B747crew
    B747crew Posts: 158
    Options
    No issues with my medium.....I do clean out often however.
    Yep  About every time for me