Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SMOBOT Kickstarter Campaign is at 67% of their goal with a few days left!

Options
I hope Eggnation and anyone with a Kamado helps bring this invention across the finish line.  The first week of April is days away and they are almost there!

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Unfortunately, it is starting to look a little grim.

They're going to need about 60 more people signing on in the next 10 days to make it across the finish line.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Sorry but "The Meater" will be the last project I ever back on Kickstarter.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    @Raymont, I am guessing that this has not shipped and no new update to as if or ever?
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • HeavyG
    Options
    kdink said:
    @Raymont, I am guessing that this has not shipped and no new update to as if or ever?
    They started shipping to their earliest backers for the single unit a week ago.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    kdink said:
    They are shipping small batches of individual probes. They still have a long way to go on the "block" (4 probes and wifi connectivity), which I remain hopeful to receive by Christmas 2017 (2 years late..)

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• ToTheMax
    ToTheMax Posts: 150
    Options
    Kickstarter campaigns usually go in waves. Huge traction in the first 2-3 days, then nothing for 3 weeks, and then a final push.

I try not to buy from Kickstarter because sure, I'd save a few bucks for pre-ordering, but the wait time for the company to develop and troubleshoot and get the bugs out, will bite me in the ass. I'd much rather pay a little more and have a working version.
    Northern Virginia
    LBGE ~'14
  • HeavyG
    Options
    ToTheMax said:
    Kickstarter campaigns usually go in waves. Huge traction in the first 2-3 days, then nothing for 3 weeks, and then a final push.

I try not to buy from Kickstarter because sure, I'd save a few bucks for pre-ordering, but the wait time for the company to develop and troubleshoot and get the bugs out, will bite me in the ass. I'd much rather pay a little more and have a working version.
    On the other hand, some projects won't make it to market without the infusion of cash from a successful Kickstarter.

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    I watched the Q & A's with these guys and liked what I was reading from many of the people on here who have been a part of the beta testing. I always figured I'd end up getting a temp control unit at some point and I finally took the plunge because of the simplicity of this one. I liked that it doesn't have a fan, which just eliminates one more thing that could go wrong with it (or freeze up in Minnesota). Hopefully they will get enough support to see this through. It seems like they've put the work in and are committed to it.
    Stillwater, MN
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    Man, I hope this goes through.  These guys have done a ton of work and are great guys that are also very responsive.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    stompbox said:
    Man, I hope this goes through.  These guys have done a ton of work and are great guys that are also very responsive.
    Yep, me too!

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• HeavyG
    Options
    I just changed my pledge to the "Two-fer" deal to help them get closer to the finish line.

If you have friends or family members keep in mind these would make a nice gift so you might want to order an extra one, or two, or... :)

They will also be looking at making adapters so these can be used with non-kamado type grills. Would be pretty simple to rig one up yourself.

• Egginitup1
    Options
    Never done a kickstarter before so I don't know what the process is or how it works.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/smobot/smobot-robotic-grill-and-smoker-controller/description

@Egginitup1:  post above link in your browser and theres a place there you can support the program.   I never did kickstarter before this one either but it is really easy....
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Only 5 days remaining 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    That's quite a bit of money left to raise in five days.  Best of luck to everyone involved.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    This is a great product. I've been one of the beta testers and have had almost flawless use of it. I've done several overnight cooks with it, and have never had an issue. The bugs the developers are working out are minor and have more to do with optimizing temp control after opening and closing as an example.

I've ordered mine. It's a great product with great customer service. I actually barely use my egg without it at this point. Even if I'm just grilling, I clip the probe to the thermo in the dome so I can control for raised direct or even just plain old grilling.

It's a great device! I can't say enough good things about it!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    xiphoid007
    Not sure if you have been among the other recommendations for this product I have read on earlier threads, but I appreciate your review on the beta versions. I doubt I would have ever considered supporting this without so many people on here voicing their experiences with the testing. Hope they make their goal, especially considering the efforts they've poured into this thing.
    Stillwater, MN
  • reinhart36
    reinhart36 Posts: 253
    Options
    Thanks for all the support and compliments!  It's greatly appreciated.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    Raymont said:
    Sorry but "The Meater" will be the last project I ever back on Kickstarter.
    I feel your frustration.  I've participated in a number of Kickstarter's with varying degrees of success.  The wait is frustrating and worry some.

This is the first kickstarter I have participated in that has a fully functioning production ready unit with parts shipping.  This design is not a concept.  It has been through numerous prototypes culminating in their production unit.

The funding is more to help initial distribution costs.

Eric and Curtis are great guys who have a great product.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited April 2017
    Options
    For those wondering how close to production the Smobot is?  Eric shared this with me, pretty cool to compare to my Beta unit ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNBZEh7cRvQ
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • westernbbq
    Options
    They wont let me get any more so i had a buddy order the mega oackafpge this weekemd for me for 469

Bring it home!
  • HeavyG
    Options
    They wont let me get any more so i had a buddy order the mega oackafpge this weekemd for me for 469

Bring it home!
    I couldn't just add one more myself so what I had to do was to cancel my single early order and then add the two-fer.

Not sure I get why Kickstarter won't let an individual choose multiple rewards.

• westernbbq
    Options
    I agree .   they already had my email so i couldnt go in there amd get another ome, then with a diff email, there was some other issue...so i had my business partner go in and get the highest number they offered

I sure hope this happens....
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited April 2017
    Options
    So close!  6k left to help an active member get his new company rolling.  Just a few days left.