Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best way to reheat chicken wings?

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,491
Yesterday I made a batch of Korean Chicken Wings, and while the skin was not "shatteringly crisp" it was fine (and "not rubbery"), fresh off the grill.  
I had enough leftovers for two more meals, which I wrapped separately in tinfoil.  My standard method to reheat 'que is to steam the foil packs in my stock pot/veggie steamer; this normally works fine for brisket, pork, etc.  However, it didn't do so well on wings, the skin took on a pretty yucky, flabby texture.
Any tricks to reheating wings that you guys know about?  Or are they one of those "best eaten right away" foods?  Thanks!  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I reheat chicken parts (not wrapped, just on a sheet of foil) in my toaster oven. I have never cooked wings, but all the other parts reheat well there. I use 350° for 5-10 min.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I reheat in the oven at 250. Usually 20 minutes (wings go in when the oven is turned on).
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Since I'm the only one eating leftover wings I just nuke a few at 60% for a couple minutes. Works for me - maybe not you.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Best eaten right away as you note-I will nuke like @RRP if that's the only option, otherwise the toaster oven works better for the skin.  But wings are still great even after the first go 'round.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Agree with the toaster oven and on a sheet of foil. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    Options
    I'm a nuker as well. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options
    Leftover wings.  Never heard of them
  • Brandongodfrey
    Options
    I re heat any chicken in the microwave then a quick broil in the oven for skin texture 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Toaster oven when I reheat.  I generally cook my wings crispy/well done, so they're usually good cold out of the fridge - like ribs.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    If you nuke, the skin becomes rubber.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Legume said:
    Toaster oven when I reheat.  I generally cook my wings crispy/well done, so they're usually good cold out of the fridge - like ribs.
    Wait. Cold ribs?! If ever "to each his own" was appropriate... =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    If you don't have a toaster oven, you could always do convection in the range if you have that option. If not and you really want to eat good wings, I would fire up the egg and do em raised direct at about 300 degrees. I would thing 20 minutes would get the job done. I really love wings but leftover nuked is about as good as nuked hot dog in my opinion. (I have eaten plenty of those in my life too!)
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Thanks guys.  I have a pretty nice toaster oven that, for three years, has made, uh, toast.  Will give that a try.  :triumph:

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I've been putting mine in the oven on low. 

Apparently I need to buy me a toaster oven. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Legume said:
    Totally agree.  My wife calls me the fridge muncher cause of the cold leftovers I munch on straight out the fridge.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.