Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

22" Paella pan and home made stand

SciAggie
SciAggie Posts: 6,481
edited March 2017 in EggHead Forum
I have really come to enjoy a good paella. So much so that I bought a large 22" pan so I can cook for a small gathering of friends. Often I want to cook at my MIL house so I needed not only the pan but something to cook on as well.

I made this stand so that I can break it down and travel with it. I just finished it yesterday and couldn't wait to cook on it. I'll confess I was a bit of a coward - I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out. I have always cooked parlla on the egg and never completely over fire before. I didn't want to invite a crowd to the house and poop out in front of an audience. Instead I invited one couple that I knew would have fun no matter the outcome. I also used plain ingredients - Comet rice, bouillon cubes, cheap chicken legs, andouille sausage, etc. I'll save the bomba rice, saffron, other goodies for the next cook. I'm cooking a seafood paella Easter weekend for the family. If it turns out half as well as this one I'll be a hero. Here's a bunch of pics. Sorry, no pics of the soccarat - we were busy eating (and drinking) by then. I have leftovers for a week...

Thanks for looking. 
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Awesome- how many can you feed out of a pan that size?
    Greensboro, NC
  • SciAggie
    edited March 2017
    Wolfpack said:
    Awesome- how many can you feed out of a pan that size?
    The manufacturer says 15-16. From what I can see 20 if there are appetizers and a salad. I cooked 4 lbs of rice. That's a bunch 'o rice. I would need more meat, but as I said this was a trial run.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,477
    Great cook and stand right there.  Way to improvise and nail it.  Congrats on the cook and eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Love it! Mallmann would be proud!!! 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,477
    @Wolfpack -  here's a great site that has a wealth of paella cook info:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/paella/paella.htm  The remainder of the site contains a lot of ceramic cooker info and more.  FYI-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Pretty damn cool. I still have a paella pan in my pantry I have never even taken the stickers off. Great pics too.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Great set up brother Sci!!  And nice paella.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SciAggie
    Thanks y'all. The cooker worked well and paella is just plain fun to cook. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,175
    Very creative and looks delicious too. 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Nice stand/design, and great looking food.  10 / 10.
    Phoenix 
  • Carolina Q
    Don't limit yourself to paella. Take a look at some of the things Francis Mallmann does with similar tools. Salt crusted fish with fire above and below, flat top griddle, even just a grill.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SciAggie
    Don't limit yourself to paella. Take a look at some of the things Francis Mallmann does with similar tools. Salt crusted fish with fire above and below, flat top griddle, even just a grill.
    Oh I know, right? I wear out Netflix watching Mallman cook. That's one reason I built the stand in the manner I did. One more piece and I can make the infenillo, or I can put the steel on top for a griddle. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Carolina Q
    Perfect!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,237
    edited March 2017
    Crikey. :o
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------