Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Short ribs need advice

Options
Hntnhrd
Hntnhrd Posts: 713
edited March 2017 in Beef
I have been wanting to cook beef ribs for awhile. But no one around here had them as a stock item. So I swung into the local
butcher shop last week and caught the owner in. He was getting ready to break down a whole steer so he said he would save me the plates. Got the call this morning and stopped in to take a look. I bought them all. 

Any recommendations ??? Should I vacum seal and wet age in the fridge? Looking forward to
what you all think I should do with these

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Cook it like a brisket!

Actually I have zero clue. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Nice score! Cook'em some beaches ona far with a lil smoke wood! Great eats await my friend.
    Snellville, GA

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    No idea how many you have but when you cook-just run low&slow (around 250-260*F) til they probe like buttah (toothpick test). Plan on around 5-7 hours depending on the cow.  Brisket on a stick.  Great score.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I agree with Cap.  I'd bet a good 6 hours on those babies.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hntnhrd
    Options
    I picked up 4 racks. But am only going to cook one at a time. Should I just got with a Rub or baste them while they cook low and slow? Sauce at the end?
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I just rub.  S&P and garlic is great too.  Generally no need for sauce.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hntnhrd
    Options
    Put one rack on couple hours ago. Salt/pepper/ granulated garlic and cumin. Just took a peek bones are starting to come out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Tooth-pick and patience for the finish-you will enjoy some of the best beef you have tasted. Personal opinion-beef ribs beat their pork cousins every time.
    Great way to enjoy any evening-and to pull this off on a Tuesday- most eggcellent.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.