Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Go At Ribs

Options
Eoin
Eoin Posts: 4,304
Got some ribs from the butcher yesterday. On the XL, going for low and slow with apple smoke.

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Enjoy- The egg does ribs really well
    Greensboro, NC
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,084
    Options
    What type of ribs are they, i.e. what cut?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Eoin
    Options
    I think that's the whole rib. He had them in the freezer so I took them as they were. I'm not a rib expert so can't tell you anything else. Smell nice though.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    How are they coming along ?

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Eoin
    Options
    Done. Took them out and brushed with Stubb's sauce. A few left for me for later (these were for the boys). Started at 250F and ended at 280F. The only disappointment was no smoke ring at all, otherwise very good.

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Options
    They look good. I don't have much experience using apple wood. I do know that hickory chunks will give a nice smoke ring.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    The smoke ring is just a chemical reaction. Does nothing for the actual product. Don't get too caught up in that. I'm assuming you have grease and sauce all over yourself after tackling those bad boys. Enjoy!
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Not too shabby for a brit. Hard to get a smoke ring on ribs, plus hard to get a smoke ring using apple. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Eoin
    Options
    The smoke ring is just a chemical reaction. Does nothing for the actual product. Don't get too caught up in that. I'm assuming you have grease and sauce all over yourself after tackling those bad boys. Enjoy!
    Hard to eat without making a mess, but worth the effort.
  • Eoin
    Options

Not too shabby for a brit. Hard to get a smoke ring on ribs, plus hard to get a smoke ring using apple. 
    I'll take that as a compliment!

Not many of us doing US style BBQ over here, mostly gassers and kettle type grills.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Eoin said:
    I think that's the whole rib. He had them in the freezer so I took them as they were. I'm not a rib expert so can't tell you anything else. Smell nice though.
    My guess is spares 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Smoke ring is more of an airflow thing IMO. Rarely do I get one on my egg especially if I'm below 250. Bump it up to 325 and I get a massive one. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Seems like they were perfectly fine, particularly for a 1st time. 

AFAIK, the pork raised in Europe is from different breeds than the US. I happened to find some at a good price that had been imported from Denmark. They were much thinner than US standard. and I almost over cooked them.

The smoke ring was mostly prized In thicker cuts, because it indIcated that the meat had been in smoke for a good amount of time. The chemical process that makes the color stops at 140F,so thinner cuts of meat, and/or ones that were not chilled when put on the fire likely would have less of the color. Not neccessarily less smoke flavor.
  • Eoin
    Options
    gdenby said:
    Seems like they were perfectly fine, particularly for a 1st time. 

AFAIK, the pork raised in Europe is from different breeds than the US. I happened to find some at a good price that had been imported from Denmark. They were much thinner than US standard. and I almost over cooked them.

The smoke ring was mostly prized In thicker cuts, because it indIcated that the meat had been in smoke for a good amount of time. The chemical process that makes the color stops at 140F,so thinner cuts of meat, and/or ones that were not chilled when put on the fire likely would have less of the color. Not neccessarily less smoke flavor.
    There wasn't much fat on these. Maybe a slightly higher temperature next time or a foil wrap?