Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

St. Patricks Day Pastrami

Options
JRWhitee
JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
I picked up a 17 lb corned packer brisket from RD, soaked in water for 10 hours changing water once rubbed with cracked pepper, coriander, onion and garlic powder brown sugar and paprika. Got the egg ready at 2am Thursday with mesquite and the flame boss set at 225 the egg crept up to 275 by 7 am when i got a text from flame boss saying my temp has been high for quite a while and to try closing the top vent which was open about 1/4 inch, I closed it to about 1/16 and the temp dropped back down to 225 lesson learned. The brisket probed tender around 4 pm Friday with temps around 190-195 wrapped in foil on the counter till 7 and sliced. Turned out perfect! 

Johns Creek, Georgia

Comments

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Good looking cook!  I have one in water currently, did yours taste like you expected? 

I keep my top vent open the thickness of a dime, fwiw.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    Good looking cook!  I have one in water currently, did yours taste like you expected? 

I keep my top vent open the thickness of a dime, fwiw.
    It did, not too salty. I have only used the FB a couple times and a dime sounds about right. Thanks.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Great cook Jim!!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Great cook. Home made pastrami is killer. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Fine looking cook! 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Great finished product! 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf