Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Picked up one of these for $6

Options
It's called a Sizzle Platter from Gourmet Grillware by Wilton Armetale.  Local Ace Hardware had it marked down already and then another 20% off yesterday.  Figured I could do some veggies or something as the protein is searing...  Anyone used anything like this or know anything about it?  It says to not put in the dishwasher, but nothing about curing or seasoning. It's some sort of aluminum alloy that's food safe.

Figured for $6 I could try it out...  
Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,313
    edited March 2017
    Options
    When I saw it, it made me think of handheld Victorian mirror. Perfect for checking out one's pompadour.

Jokes aside, looks like a steal for $6. Finding out what kind of material it's made of will determine its best application (and maintenance). Links I've consulted reference that it's good for high heat but don't spell out the material.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Looks like a Fancy Fajita Skillet.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I have one but haven't used it yet

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,352
    Options
    I've got a couple of WIlton Armetale Grillware Deep Dish Skillets that I use for, surprise, deep dish pan pizza.

Good stuff, but you definitely do not want to throw it in the dishwasher. Dishwashers are rough on un-anodized  or otherwise coated aluminum.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    Good to know.  I might swing back by this afternoon and look at the few other pieces they have and see if there's not another bargain to be had.
    There are some reviews on Amazon and most are really good, with a few about it being hard to clean.  @HeavyG have you had any probs cleaning it?
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I've got a few pieces of Wilton armetale and I like it a lot. One went through the dishwasher. No bueno. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • vb4677
    Options
    @blind99
    Do find it hard to clean?  What kind of pieces do you have?
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,352
    Options
    vb4677 said:
    Good to know.  I might swing back by this afternoon and look at the few other pieces they have and see if there's not another bargain to be had.
    There are some reviews on Amazon and most are really good, with a few about it being hard to clean.  @HeavyG have you had any probs cleaning it?
    No real problems cleaning it but if you are expecting it to stay as clean and shiny as it is out of the box you might be disappointed. The faux ropework on the one you have might be a little trickier to clean and need a scrub brush.

Mine have developed a patina and I'm fine with that and don't expend any effort to try and correct that.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    vb4677 said:
    @blind99
    Do find it hard to clean?  What kind of pieces do you have?
    I've got a few serving pieces. I like them for hot apps because they go in the oven, then can sit on the counter and keep the food warm. I just clean with hot soapy water and dry with a towel. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options
    I have two of the large oyster beds from Wilton Armetal.
    http://theoysterbed.com/ 

• vb4677
    Options
    So, I went back, plunked down a $20 and got this one, too...