Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hinge bolt

Options
So last week when I was opening the dome I felt it pull hard to the left.  I found that one of the hinge bolts had snapped completely in half.

Replaced the bolt and got a lock nut to put on there.  One week later I find the lock nut is not locking and is coming loose.  Do I have a bad lock nut or is something else going on with the hinge?  I tried to tighten it back and it just spins.

Comments

• Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    Options
    If bolt and lock nut were same size then what temp did you get the egg up to ? A locking nut typically uses nylon inside on the threads to lock, possible heat distortion ?
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Those hinge bolts are meant to be a bit loose so play is important. My guess is your use opening and closing aborted the nylon grip. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Options
    @RRP should I not use a lock nut then?  the original but looked to be a lock nut 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I've never had the difficulty you're describing.  If a lock nut fails, then why not go old school and double nut it with a jam nut?  Just a thought.
    Flint, Michigan
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    edited March 2017
    Options
    That nut looks a little large for the bolt. Sounds dumb, but you sure you got matching sizes? If so try adding a washer, and moving up to a stover nut
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Options
    poster said:
    That nut looks a little large for the bolt. Sounds dumb, but you sure you got matching sizes? If so try adding a washer, and moving up to a stover nut
    LoL.  While I am mechanically challenged, I'm not THAT mechanically challenged.  ;)
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    poster said:
    LoL.  While I am mechanically challenged, I'm not THAT mechanically challenged.  ;)

lol, I know it was out there, you never know though, ive seen stranger things. I know lots of people with a random assortment of fasteners in a jar.... metric, imperial, and is there a term better than Chinese? all mixed together. Throw in a 16" crescent and a pair of linesman pliers to tighten them up and you can make just about anything fit together
  • RRP
    Options
    poster said:
    poster said:

lol, I know it was out there, you never know though, ive seen stranger things. I know lots of people with a random assortment of fasteners in a jar.... metric, imperial, and is there a term better than Chinese? all mixed together. Throw in a 16" crescent and a pair of linesman pliers to tighten them up and you can make just about anything fit together
    I hear you - but I trusted him as he was way ahead of some eggers in that he knew it was a bolt not a "screw". ;)
  • RRP
    Options
    @RRP should I not use a lock nut then?  the original but looked to be a lock nut 
    Nothing wrong with a locking nut at that hinge location - just don't run it up tight as that junction is supposed to move when the dome is opened and closed.