Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Costco prime brisket

Options
Smokin_Trout
Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
Auctioned a brisket on Facebook just before Christmas to raise money for a local charity. A great friend of about 40 years (we are only 44),  paid out $150 for the win. We will be driving this about an hour to Marshal, Mi to enjoy lunch with him and his family. 

On to the cook-
16+lbs of $2.99 prime Costco brisket. Trimmed about 4-5lbs off and rubbed down with @MeatChurch Cow Lick (Not even one small clump).
small stick of hickory and the finest GFS lump you can buy. 
Running about 300* at the dome
Went on just before 10pm.
Point was at 204* am 4am. Flat still needed a few more hours.
Wrapped in butcher paper and out back on. 

Comments

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    edited March 2017
    Options
    These brisket threads are my favorite.   Keep em coming!  I need to thaw one of my costco primes now... 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Smokin_Trout
    Options
    This one finished in about 7 hours 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Doesn't matter how you get there as long as you cross the finish-line.  Looks great for a hi-temp run.  Very nice gesture on both sides. Enjoy the gathering and banquet.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I dig the Costco Prime briskets.  you can tell a great meal is coming when they giggle taking them off the grid.......

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Mighty fine!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    Options
    Just picked up my first brisket at the Franklin/Brentwood, TN Costco. Will be cooking it up tomorrow. So excited!
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • Smokin_Trout
    Options

Tasted great, but the bottom (fat cap) bark was very hard. Still need to figure that part out. 
    While we were there went went to his neighbors to check out his snowmobile. Not just any snowmobile, 635hp, 4 stroke with turbo badass 150mph in the 1/8th mile.  
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    When the point was at 204, what was the flat at?  

I wrap at 165 and let it ride from there.
  • Smokin_Trout
    Options
    Not sure what the flat temp was. I know it probed a little tuff. 
    I did wrap in butcher paper, but guessing damage was done. 
    Any help would be greatly appreciated 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Brisket finish-line is defined by the feel in the thick part of the flat-temp (of the flat) is only a guide.  And the point is just along for the ride-the higher fat content protects it til the flat "declares victory."
    The feel is the 
    "probes like buttah" feel-best approximated by checking the point toward the end of the cook, then waiting for that in the flat.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Smokin_Trout
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Brisket finish-line is defined by the feel in the thick part of the flat-temp (of the flat) is only a guide.  And the point is just along for the ride-the higher fat content protects it til the flat "declares victory."
    The feel is the 
    "probes like buttah" feel-best approximated by checking the point toward the end of the cook, then waiting for that in the flat.  
    I thought I did that, but the bottom was hard and over crispy. 
    Just the higher heat? Need to flip? I did wrap in butcher paper, maybe just a little too late. 
    Taste is better than any BBQ restaurant I have been to recently, but the hard bark has to go. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Smokin_Trout -  the above  confuses me:  "Not sure what the flat temp was. I know it probed a little tuff. "  That said, not sure how you got that result with the fat cap as a heat protector.  May be your rub and the higher temp but I would think that the fat alone would mitigate any rub issues.  I have ended up (unintentionally) in the area of 300*F before but don't recall any hard bark issues.  
    Chalk it up to eggsperience and go again.