Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smobot is up and running on Kickstarter

Options

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Options
    With all the other proven temp controllers it would seem the market is reaching saturation.
    This is definitely an innovative approach.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,353
    Options
    FYI ... Using a 23,000mAh battery pack, my run time with the Beta version looks to be somewhere North of 60~75 hours on a single charge ... that's three brisket cooks on one charge! 
    How did you adapt it to the battery pack? Sure, I'm getting a new one.  But that's whole months away :-)
    @tom_streeter ... the Beta version had a pocket for two 9-volt batteries AND a  9 volt DC input receptacle.  The battery pack came with a short 9 volt jumper cable that worked perfectly.  I simply stack the battery pack and SmoBot in my rain box.
    The current version in the Kickstarter campaign lists that it uses input power of 5v and has a MicroUSB connector. Most of those external rechargeable battery packs come with a USB/MicroUSB cable so you should just be able to plug the external pack right in. Easy peasy.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• piperpilot
    Options
    Hi HeavyG, you are correct, that was a main reason for the design.  There are inexpensive battery packs that will plug right in and run the SMOBOT for hours or days.  We are doing some battery testing, but the small 2200mAh packs are very promising to run for 24 hours.
  • reinhart36
    reinhart36 Posts: 253
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hey all - sorry to have been quiet.  My house is one of the 700,000 in the Detroit area without power, so we were distracted working out a generator system for heat..

Yeah, any 5V rechargeable battery battery pack should work well.  I use an external battery pack with my Beta usually too.  It's nice to not need to run an extension chord to the grill.

The software in the Beta prototype tended to report a rapid %drop on battery voltage, to like 60% in a handful of hours, but then it will run for a long time like that (as long as WiFi access point mode isn't on, which is a power hog).  That software behavior made some people think their Beta gobbled batteries though it really doesn't.  Battery power is a great option.

Thanks,
    Eric
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    OK I am checking my Beta unit for this when I get home!

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • reinhart36
    Options
    evie1370 said:
    I should have done something less misleading with the reported %power.  I think @Ozzie_Isaac did some battery life tests with WiFi disabled, but I don't recall how many hours he was able to run for.
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • reinhart36
    Options
    GregW said:
    With all the other proven temp controllers it would seem the market is reaching saturation.
    This is definitely an innovative approach.

I would agree that it seems saturated with blower controllers.. ;-)

Thanks for the compliment!

• chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    Hi guys - thanks for the kind words and support!

The apps should definitely be done by June .. I hope sooner.  I'll definitely let you know when there's something for you to start playing with.
    I jumped in on it. Looking forward to it. 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • reinhart36
    Options
    chrisc133 said:
    Hi guys - thanks for the kind words and support!

The apps should definitely be done by June .. I hope sooner.  I'll definitely let you know when there's something for you to start playing with.
    I jumped in on it. Looking forward to it. 
    Whoohoo!  Thanks, @chrisc133 - greatly appreciated!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,128
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I need to look through my notes for exact numbers, but I easily got 20+ hrs from a single set of 9V batteries.  @reinhart36 is correct, on the beta units it dropped to 60% quickly, then kept going.  If I remember right the LCD screen started to fade when it got real low, but without the wifi it just kept chugging.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1194663/smobot-review-in-progress/p2
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Btw, 9V batteries are ~500mAh (in practice closer to 300mAh) .... so for a set rated at 1000mAh I got over 20hrs.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • reinhart36
    Options
    Thanks @Ozzie_Isaac for the reminder on that, and for testing it out.

Agreed that 9v batteries are a pretty low capacity.  It was a feasible solution for Beta experimentation, but the power scheme on this production version is greatly improved, and will allow for efficient use of widely available rechargeable external 5v packs.  It's going to be very cool! 
  • Deluca
    Deluca Posts: 148
    Options
    Looking forward to this! 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    If you check out Kickstarter, it looks like they added more options.
  • reinhart36
    Options
    Yes indeed - and a cool incentive including a very fancy battery pack is about to show up too!  =)
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    ive sent everyone i know who has a green egg the kickstarter link, about a dozen eggers so hopefully they get on it!
    lets fund this baby!
  • HeavyG
    Options
    ^^^^ Agree completely!

I see one of the incentives is now offering a two-pack at a bit of a discount.

I've already snagged one of the early birds but if it looks like they might need help crossing the finish line at the end I'll switch to a two-pack.

Definitely want to see them reach their goal!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• deadlyfrog
    deadlyfrog Posts: 92
    edited March 2017
    Options
    To anyone that beta tested this.... What is the thought of gumming up with grease and such? I know my daisy wheel now needs a good cleaning after doing a lo and slo cook. 
  • reinhart36
    Options
    I'm behind a tricky firewall at present, and am unable to verify that this link works - let me know if not:

https://vimeo.com/157536471

Thanks for the great question!
    Eric
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    To anyone that beta tested this.... What is the thought of gumming up with grease and such? I know my daisy wheel now needs a good cleaning after doing a lo and slo cook. 
    It does gum up now and then, no doubt about it.  The only time it is an issue is after it cooled down completely, the spinning damper can get stuck.

The simplicity of the design though allows you to pick up on the arm slightly to break the bond.  Once the bond is broken, you are good to go. The other option I suppose (besides cleaning it) is to heat it.

directions are in the SmoBot manual, and while it is a very good question, it has never been a problem for me.

it truly is my favorite controller for ease of use.
  • tom_streeter
    Options
    Or, if you use a torch to light your Egg ( or a heat gun or the like) heat the metal for about 5 seconds. Gunk turns into lubrication. 
  • reinhart36
    Options
    Btw, 9V batteries are ~500mAh (in practice closer to 300mAh) .... so for a set rated at 1000mAh I got over 20hrs.
    That bodes well for the early backer reward which is now in-place through 3/22, wherein backers who pledge at or above a level which is rewarded with a SMOBOT controller get a free fancy 4000mah rechargeable battery pack with the SMOBOT logo on it!  ;-)

People who already backed at that level prior to the incentive being put in place also receive it, of course.

Thanks again @Ozzie_Isaac !
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    I have yet to clean the damper and never had it gum up.  I did have an issue when I forgot to put the DFMT with the damper on the egg ;) 
  • HeavyG
    Options
    I have yet to clean the damper and never had it gum up.  I did have an issue when I forgot to put the DFMT with the damper on the egg ;) 
    The SmoBot folks should probably add that to the manual.

On the other hand, nobody RTFM anyway.

• stompbox
    Options
    Mine definitely has gummed up, many times actually.  Last summer was a huge smoking season for me with multiple cooks of 30 pounds or more of pork butt or pork and brisket at the same time for various events, graduations, etc.

One time in particular it was gunked up bad and I just set it on the stove for a minute or two and voila!  

I still havent cleaned mine either.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    My beta unit has seen lots of low-n-slow cooks and it has never frozen.  Stuck a couple of times after it cooled down, but a slight tug has it loose and functioning correctly in a second.

I have treated my beta unit like a red-headed step child and have had no real problems that would cause me concern.  I've experienced some minor glitches that have already been addressed by Eric and Curtis ... that's why developers utilize beta testing after all.

The both the concept and physical configuration are valid.  The unit functions well.  If the software/app is up to the same level as the physical functionality, the Smobot will see lots of happy eggers.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• stompbox
    Options
    Oh yeah, I never thought of giving it a tug before I put it away.  LOL. After a cook, I am too anxious to sink my teeth in some food to do that. :)

• lowandslow
    lowandslow Posts: 122
    Options
    I have a simple question...Is this unit weatherproof?  Concerned a rainstorm would trash it.
    Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg
  • tom_streeter
    Options
    The damper attached to the vent is seemingly impervious to weather. Mine lives outside. The controller can get tossed in a ziplock or, in my case, under a plastic bowl.