Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribeye Cap -- To roll or not to roll?

I've had the great fortune of cooking a srf ribeye cap in the past.  Method was lightly seasoned with montreal + reverse sear the entire steak at 250 dome temp.  Pulled at 110 IT, rested while the egg fires up the CI and then quickly seared on both sides to set the char and crust.  Ended up being a top 5 (prob top 3) all time favorite steak.

Although I'm usually a believer in the notion of not changing a winning strategy, as I think about my next one and do some research, I see that many people roll and tie up the cap, cut into individual steaks and cook it that way.  

Wondering what the pros/cons are and what the forum has to say about both methods.  I suppose cutting individual steaks means more sear/char/seasoning since there's more surface area to sprinkle hit the CI.  But the cap is so flavorful, I'm not sure it needs all that extra charry goodness and seasoning.  And I like slicing a big steak on a board and serving that way rather than individually.  

These first world concerns demand first world thoughts . . . looking forward to hearing what folks have to say.
It's a 302 thing . . .

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Do not roll if it isn't already. More surface area for browning.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    I'm with @Eggcelsior here.  With the Costco caps that come jelly-rolled I have had them rolled and also unrolled.  I find the unrolled to provide more flavor.  I'm not sure many here would roll their own caps but it's your cook.  Above all, it will turn out great so enjoy.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    I have eaten at the French Laundry twice and the only dish that I really enjoyed was the cap de bouef both times. 
  • @GrillSgt ugh that French Laundry cap. So good. I had duck once there that was amazing as well. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Any bacteria will be on the surface of the meat. When you roll it, you trap the bacteria inside the roll. Then you don't cook it to 160 IT, because it would suck, and so the rolled bacteria doesn't die. So it just depends on how much you trust everyone who handled the meat before you. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Thanks, all.  I didn't really see the benefit to rolling and tying, particularly if not stuffing (which I wouldn't do with this beautiful piece o' beef).
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    The ones I made were purchased from Costco already rolled.  If I had the option, I would not roll.

Just had one at Rathbun Steak. Flat and delicious. Good luck and enjoy. 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    We are in the unroll group. More surface area adds more flavor to a wonderful cut. 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    GrillSgt said:
    I have eaten at the French Laundry twice and the only dish that I really enjoyed was the cap de bouef both times. 
    Mighty fancy lingo there brother. Do you mean Calotte de Boeuf Grillee? :smiley:
    I've made it both ways. CI skillet, compound butter and a fork (no knife needed).  I'm good with either presentation.  Git in my belly!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    One problem with the roll is the outside is rilled inside, so technically you should cook it to a higher temp. I would leave it unrolled.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    There are only a few things in this world that you should roll up before you smoke it and a cap of ribeye ain't one of 'em!    
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    I see a lot of talk here about these unrolled caps but I ain't seeing any pictures!! 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    No pics today but here's a link to an easy DIY Cap video.  Even I have followed it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJH3qwIHeDc  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088

Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite.