Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tandoori Chicken

Options
Eoin
Eoin Posts: 4,304
I'm not exactly following a recipe here, just got some chicken breast meat in chunks with yoghurt, chilli and spices. Tempted to give this a try hanging down through the top vent but not sure how evenly it will cook like that.

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I have tried semi-vertical using a spider and horizontal using a spider.  Worked ok.  Part of the Tandoori cooking process is using the radiant heat coming off the tandoor walls.  Hanging from the top vent may cause the chicken to be too far away from radiant sources and cooking will be done by conductive heat.  You should get ok results, but not sure if it would be worth the trouble of setting it up that way.  The dimensions of the egg are not ideal.  You should try it and report back - with pictures of how you set it up.

And don't forget the naan.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Eoin
    Options
    I have tried semi-vertical using a spider and horizontal using a spider.  Worked ok.  Part of the Tandoori cooking process is using the radiant heat coming off the tandoor walls.  Hanging from the top vent may cause the chicken to be too far away from radiant sources and cooking will be done by conductive heat.  You should get ok results, but not sure if it would be worth the trouble of setting it up that way.  The dimensions of the egg are not ideal.  You should try it and report back - with pictures of how you set it up.

And don't forget the naan.

Nan is off the menu, diet. I like chapatis, will do these on the Egg when I'm back on carbs.
  • Eoin
    Options
    Set up like this. Ran fully open top and bottom to get really hot (flames out of the top) then closed the bottom down so hot but no flames to try and replicate a tandoor. The shape of the egg is not exactly right, but giving it a go!

• Eoin
    Options
    First one out. Got 2 in together now, tried more but they are not clear of each other. 

• Eoin
    Options
    These were really good. Soft tender chicken, great coating creamy and spicy and charred. Next time will do more!
  • Eoin
    Options
    Repeat performance tonight. Marinading now, same as before just twice as much chicken.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Looks mighty fine! Not sure how I missed this the first time.

The vertical placement is key, as the meat then bastes itself. Just a bit tricky to do in the egg.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    caliking said:

The vertical placement is key, as the meat then bastes itself. Just a bit tricky to do in the egg.
    My brother has a colleague who does this cook. He swears a really long marinade is key. Yes or no? Tells me his buddy lets it almost get funky? My brothers is ok, but his buddies is a whole other level. This looks tasty. 
  • Eoin
    Options
    caliking said:

My brother has a colleague who does this cook. He swears a really long marinade is key. Yes or no? Tells me his buddy lets it almost get funky? My brothers is ok, but his buddies is a whole other level. This looks tasty. 
    I only had a couple of hours last time, this time the marinade will be about 8 hours.

Never tried this at home before the Egg, you need too much heat to make it cook properly.  It is a really good way to cook chicken. Will post pictures again later when we have dinner.
  • Eoin
    Options
    Hot now, reduced the vent to get rid of the flames so we're working on radiant heat. Got some cheesey skins to do as well but I think they will end up as charcoal on a 700F Egg.

• Eoin
    Options
    Ready to eat. Last post today, had way too much G&T and going to attack this pile of tandoori chicken now. For some reaon it's much hotter today as well, different batch of chilli!

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    caliking said:

It depends. If their is any kind of tenderizer in the marinade (papaya, yogurt, pineapple) I don't like what happens to the texture after about 4hrs.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eoin
    Options
    caliking said:
    caliking said:

It depends. If their is any kind of tenderizer in the marinade (papaya, yogurt, pineapple) I don't like what happens to the texture after about 4hrs.
    It's a yoghurt marinade. Today's was also good, but much hotter. I assume the scotch bonnet and birds eyes were just hotter, always a lottery with chilli.