Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Costco Beef Tenderloin - Reverse Sear Filet

Options
This weekend was my first try at breaking down a Costco beef tenderloin and it was easier than expected. I just watched a few youtube videos and read a few threads on here. Unfortunately I didn't get any shots of the breakdown but here is the cook and final product:

Reverse sear... cook @ 300 indirect until 115, pull and rest. Got the egg back up to 500 and seared each side for a minute or so. Don't mind my my heat deflectors(broken pizza stone). 

Served with a blue cheese butter.

If anyone has any recommendations on how to cook the non filet sections I am all ears!

Raleigh, NC

Comments

• CountryBoy
    Options
    I think most of the time you can grind up the chain into some killer burgers. Or cut up some of pieces into little chunks and make a stir fry or what not. Parts of the head you can roast whole or cut into steaks as well. If ya want to make a surprise for your wife keep the small part of the head attached when cutting steaks into filets to make heart shaped ones!the top two on left. Once you do a few it becomes second nature to butcher your own. I cut all of our steaks myself from primal cuts. Normally a decent savings too. Save all trimmings to make into grind. Vac seal and freeze
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    That steak is mouthwatering. Perfectly done
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Great result.  Direct high temp cook is another approach if you like medium moo.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Bravo! That looks divine.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Rare yum :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    For the tip meat, you can cut it up for some nice kabobs. Probably my favorite.
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    I usually do kabobs or steak fajitas with the trimmings. 
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • SGrabs33
    Options
    Thank you all for the kind words. Kabobs and/or burgers sound like great options.

Its hard to go wrong with butchering this yourself. I got 7 filets out of the 6.5lb (9.99/lb) tenderloin for the party and now I have about 2.5lbs left for extras.
    Raleigh, NC