Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2017 Garden Thread

Options

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    put the bucket tomatoes in, a hanging yellow bush type cherry tomato on top, 2 sweet 100 cherries out the bottom, need a higher hook, next week. good thing i did raised beds a couple years ago, the rivers high this spring, the blueberries and cranberry bog is loving it =)

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    With all the unending rain the squash and zuchinni are rotting on the vine. The cucumbers and blueberries are doing well though and the peppers and cherry tomatoes have started ripening.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    With all the unending rain the squash and zuchinni are rotting on the vine. The cucumbers and blueberries are doing well though and the peppers and cherry tomatoes have started ripening.
    Send pic of rotting on vine. Are they full sized and rotting or very small and rotting? If the latter, they are not rotting. They didn't get pollinated. The female flowers have the fruit under them. The male just have the stem. Inside the male flower you can see a resemblance of male anatomy ha. Take Q-tip and rub on the inside of the male flower and then rub inside of the female flower. They will not rot after that as they are getting properly pollinated. You can also put more flower pots near them to attract pollinators. Good luck
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Green beans and zuccini going crazy with daily harvests
  • G_S
    G_S Posts: 62
    Options

Does any one have any thoughts, on using the ash from the Egg
    as fertilizer?

• Chubbs
    Options
    G_S said:

Does any one have any thoughts, on using the ash from the Egg
    as fertilizer?

You can use it for sure but it will raise the PH and lower the acidity of the soil. If you have acid loving plants this is counterproductive. 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    April was a waste of time but May was warm and everything took off apart from the chillies, which are still small. First green tomatoes on the vine, not long now. Courgettes growing like triffids, first harvested today.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    edited June 2017
    Options
    My attempt at a garden. First poblano and first Tomato 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Anyone want to help a brother out. First time doing bell peppers. This doesn't look right. 

Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Eoin
    Options
    Anyone want to help a brother out. First time doing bell peppers. This doesn't look right. 

What is it you don't like the look of?
  • saluki2007
    Options
    @Eoin  Should it be turning black where the stem and stalk meet?  After the bloom it looks like the fruit is turning black and almost looks like someone took a torch to it.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Eoin
    Options
    @Eoin  Should it be turning black where the stem and stalk meet?  After the bloom it looks like the fruit is turning black and almost looks like someone took a torch to it.
    @saluki2007, I've seen this colouring on peppers before and not had a problem. The fruit looks good on yours.
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    All the times i grew bell peppers they looked the exact same and turned out great. 
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• saluki2007
    Options
    All the times i grew bell peppers they looked the exact same and turned out great. 
    Thanks for the insight.  First time growing them so wasn't sure.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Chubbs
    Options
    @saluki2007 have you had a lot of rain? Keep an eye on it. If could be fungal disease if pepper turn black and fall off. Sometimes it's a lack of calcium. I usually sprinkle Epsom salts around my peppers when they are fruiting. Don't let it touch the stem but close enough that it can pull it in. Keep an eye on it once fruit sets. 
  • saluki2007
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    @saluki2007 have you had a lot of rain? Keep an eye on it. If could be fungal disease if pepper turn black and fall off. Sometimes it's a lack of calcium. I usually sprinkle Epsom salts around my peppers when they are fruiting. Don't let it touch the stem but close enough that it can pull it in. Keep an eye on it once fruit sets. 
    Yes, In the last week we have gotten several inches of rain.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• fishlessman
    Options
    for the calcium you can add shells as well, egg mussel, oyster, etc.  the mulch i buy is loaded with mussel and sea urchin. the tomatoes and peppers seem to grow better in it and adding it the soil is getting better every year
    fukahwee maine

• saluki2007
    Options
    for the calcium you can add shells as well, egg mussel, oyster, etc.  the mulch i buy is loaded with mussel and sea urchin. the tomatoes and peppers seem to grow better in it and adding it the soil is getting better every year
    Last time I checked, none of that is in the corn or bean fields...
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• fishlessman
    Options
    picked about 2/3's of the garlic scapes, into a sweet pickling brine with some freshly picked cayennes. first time growing garlick, maybe 98 of a hundred plants popped  up this spring, so far so good

fukahwee maine

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    Frigging Japanese beetles are ganging up on my basil this year. Little bastidges.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options

Drip irrigation installed!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Little harvest action past fees days
  • Eoin
    Options
    Did some pruning in the greenhouse today and sorted out the supports for the tomatoes. Slightly less of a jungle now. Tomatoes well ahead of previous years thanks to the weather, chillies still a bit slow. Got a potting shed comming after the summer that I will insulate and have somewhere that can be heated early season to get things moving earlier in the year.

• fishlessman
    Options
    plants are in about 6 weeks now, green and big but not many flowers, what nutrient makes the flowers pop, used miracle grow this year, plants are near 6 feet tall now, wiretyed a second cage to the tops of the cages around the plants. still not many flowers or tomato sets.

sunflower leaves destroyed by slugs, caught over 60 this weekend with a platter filled with beer. anything that kills them on the leaves. between squirrels lopping off the flower heads and slugs hitting the leaves they dont stand a chance
    fukahwee maine

• Eoin
    Options
    plants are in about 6 weeks now, green and big but not many flowers, what nutrient makes the flowers pop, used miracle grow this year, plants are near 6 feet tall now, wiretyed a second cage to the tops of the cages around the plants. still not many flowers or tomato sets.

sunflower leaves destroyed by slugs, caught over 60 this weekend with a platter filled with beer. anything that kills them on the leaves. between squirrels lopping off the flower heads and slugs hitting the leaves they dont stand a chance
    If you fertilise too much too early then you get too much greenery. I'd stop them at 6 foot and also pick out any shoots between the stem and the main side branches.

We are normally safe from squirrels, lots of open fields between us and the nearest woodland. We've got one at the moment though, but it's on notice of death as it's chewed through the plastic petrol tank on my mower.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Eoin said:

If you fertilise too much too early then you get too much greenery. I'd stop them at 6 foot and also pick out any shoots between the stem and the main side branches.

We are normally safe from squirrels, lots of open fields between us and the nearest woodland. We've got one at the moment though, but it's on notice of death as it's chewed through the plastic petrol tank on my mower.
    im at pretty much the same fertilizer as i use yearly, might stop that, did add more compost this year. river is up to the bottom of the raised bed so maybe too much water, its usually down another foot or two right now which probally is resulting in the slug problem. have the same loom and fertilizer in the bucket tomatoes for the cherry sized ones and they are blooming and setting like crazy, hot peppers are doing well too as is the garlic. been picking out the suckers between the branch and center stems. did not plant any early tomatos, maybe its just a waiting game, my plants usually grow 8 or more feet tall up to 12 or so last year with one type so wasnt worried about the size so far
    fukahwee maine

• Eoin
    Options
    Eoin said:

im at pretty much the same fertilizer as i use yearly, might stop that, did add more compost this year. river is up to the bottom of the raised bed so maybe too much water, its usually down another foot or two right now which probally is resulting in the slug problem. have the same loom and fertilizer in the bucket tomatoes for the cherry sized ones and they are blooming and setting like crazy, hot peppers are doing well too as is the garlic. been picking out the suckers between the branch and center stems. did not plant any early tomatos, maybe its just a waiting game, my plants usually grow 8 or more feet tall up to 12 or so last year with one type so wasnt worried about the size so far
    Get some pet ducks, they love slugs.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:

Get some pet ducks, they love slugs.
    wild ducks geese and turkey in the yard during the week, bird dog on offense during the weekends.  should have more ducks in a few weeks when the blueberries start to ripen, ducks will eat blueberries with the britt on point just yards away =)
    fukahwee maine

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Glad I got an Egg cause I'm always hungry after gardening.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen