Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New toy/tool works as advertised: Grillgrates

Options
I kept seeing @Ross in Ventura posting beautiful food with Grill Grates in them. Broke down this week and got one. Well, they sure do make nice grill marks!  Here's the virgin grates, nice NY strip with DP Cow Lick and some thick sliced onion and eggplant. Thanks for looking. 
Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Me too. @Ross in Ventura has done us a favor imo. 
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    I got a set for Christmas and love them.  Get the grillgrate brush, it sure makes cleaning out the channels a breeze.  $19
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    logchief said:
    I got a set for Christmas and love them.  Get the grillgrate brush, it sure makes cleaning out the channels a breeze.  $19
    I can't quite make out if it's wire or other material.
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have had mine for almost a year now and I don't cook a steak or burgers without them.  Defiantly helps with flair ups when cooking burgers.  The tongs are great and I need a new one.  I tired to use it to lift something heavy and hot off the grill and broke them.

Note to self, use the proper tool for the job next time. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    I am anxious to use the flat side of the grill grates as I've seen done on YouTube. Anyone here tried that yet with burgers or fajita fixins?
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    I am anxious to use the flat side of the grill grates as I've seen done on YouTube. Anyone here tried that yet with burgers or fajita fixins?
    I have not thought of that before, I may have to try that, but I like using my Little Griddle for doing chicken fajitas.  With it I sear the chicken on the griddle, then finish it on the grill while I cook the vegetables.

I see on Youtube you can cook bacon on the flat side as well. 

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Food looks great. I really like my GrillGrates. I just wish they made them to fit the entire grid.  You loose some grilling real estate with these. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• pgprescott
    Options
    Food looks great. I really like my GrillGrates. I just wish they made them to fit the entire grid.  You loose some grilling real estate with these. 
    Do you have the ones with clipped corners? You might loose a bit with those, but not much.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Yes! I often flip them to their smooth side and sear my tri tips ... in fact, I seared a prime rib a few weeks ago this way, nice even searing action.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Yes! I often flip them to their smooth side and sear my tri tips ... in fact, I seared a prime rib a few weeks ago this way, nice even searing action.
    I saw BBManiac do the PR sear on his video. Looks to be quite effective. Also saw a guy do grilled onions and burgers on the back side. I was drooling on that one too. He toasted the buns and treated it just like a griddle.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I've never looked into them before. I like the flare up reducing factor. 

Man those things are expensive.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    blind99 said:

there should be an option to put money into escrow when you sign up for this forum
    That's for sure buddy. Man, if they were a little better price wise I'd get them. 

Maybe if I buy only to fit the medium I could use on it and the large, just wouldn't have the space. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    blind99 said:

there should be an option to put money into escrow when you sign up for this forum
    That's for sure buddy. Man, if they were a little better price wise I'd get them. 

Maybe if I buy only to fit the medium I could use on it and the large, just wouldn't have the space. 

just paint the grill marks on.  or photoshop!

I also like that basket someone posted that fits on a ring between the firebox and fire ring.  I think a smaller volume of charcoal right below the grill wound be good. 

soooo many accessories for this flower pot cooker

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • pgprescott
    Options
    blind99 said:

They are anodized aluminum and they are surprisingly heavy. Just the lack of care and maintenance required is enough for me. Cast iron cooking grid is not cheap either.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    blind99 said:

They are anodized aluminum and they are surprisingly heavy. Just the lack of care and maintenance required is enough for me. Cast iron cooking grid is not cheap either.
    Exactly the reason I didn't go CI.  It would look like Fidos azz, so I'm still rolling with the stock grid.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Do you have the ones with clipped corners? You might loose a bit with those, but not much.
    @pgprescott - yes mine have the clipped corners and they look the same as @Cookbook_Chip 's pic. 

I agree it is not much space lost but I think it would be an improvement if they could make these to fit the entire grid. It cuts the grilling capacity down by at least a couple of burgers. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    @pgprescott , I actually emailed the own of GG's ..(he answers every email pronto) and asked him about fitting the GG's to fit the whole pit - in this case a BGE, he said the GG's need plenty of airflow to work efficiently, so that's why they don't do this.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    @pgprescott , I actually emailed the own of GG's ..(he answers every email pronto) and asked him about fitting the GG's to fit the whole pit - in this case a BGE, he said the GG's need plenty of airflow to work efficiently, so that's why they don't do this.
    I wondered about that and the possibility of generating too much heat build up as well.

I'm a fan. I can't wait to really put them to work. I've only just messed around to date.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    I have them for my XL and never really noticing them having that much room around the edges.  With the XL it comes with 4 sections not 3.  The big advantage of them is you don't have to get the egg way up over 500 to grill a steak.  I take my XL to about 400-450 and on the GG it will read 500 to 600 sometimes.  Plenty of temp to grill a steak.  I used to take the egg up to 650-700 to grill a steak, this way i can keep it more under control.  I also have use a broke in half plate setter and half a GG to do a reverse sear.  Makes it easier when just cooking for a few.

Kansas City, Mo.