Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon ribs and Moink balls

Options
both of these are a first time cook. Hopefully they work. 

Ribs were cured in 2% salt, 1% sugar, and nitrite. This ends up being 540g of ribs, 10g salt, 5g sugar, 1g nitrite.  I figured about 1/4 the weight of the ribs is bone, and doesn't need cure. So one of the half slabs got the full 16g, the other got 12.

One of the half slabs got some chipotle flavoring as well. They cured for a week. Now they're on the small, getting smoked and cooked. 

Moink balls are prepped. We make these meatballs a lot: half ground turkey, half Italian sausage, egg, green onions. Sometimes we add sesame oil, but not for these. Wrapped in bacon, large egg getting warm.  Can't believe I've never made these...

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Looking like a freaking banquet ahead for you!  Beautiful my friend.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @blind99. How are the meatballs with seasame oil?  This sounds interesting.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Looking like a freaking banquet ahead for you!  Beautiful my friend.
    Thanks buddy!

RedSkip said:
    @blind99. How are the meatballs with seasame oil?  This sounds interesting.
    They're excellent. We toss them in Asian BBQ sauce from wegmans and eat them on mashed potatoes. Sounds a little weird but they're great - I could eat a mountain of them!
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

The bacon ribs were.... interesting! Exactly like bacon - on a rib. Not too salty. I think you could add a little nitrite to any old rub and do the same thing. Kids loved it. 

I chopped them into single ribs and sauced them and let them go a bit longer. Might play with this again another time.