Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2017 new release briq charcoal test

Options
Focker
Focker Posts: 8,364
A helpful link for the briq guys here.
K Pro looks good for grilling.
Original K and Weber for low and slows.

The Weber briqs look solid.  Look forward to trying a bag.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/kingsford-long-burning-weber-hardwood-charcoal-burn-test-2017.html

Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    We just got a pallet in of the Weber. They are supposed to be 100% hardwood bound with vegetable starch only, no fillers or other chemicals. I haven't used them yet. Should produce far less ash and give you higher heat output and  the uniformity of the classic briq. Should be able to more easily reuse the leftovers with the lack of fillers which absorbed a lot of moisture. I'm anxious too. I know Rockwood was working on a similar product. No word if this is his doing or if he is still tinkering with his own. They are in the premium lump price range though.
  • Focker
    edited February 2017
    Options
    We just got a pallet in of the Weber. They are supposed to be 100% hardwood bound with vegetable starch only, no fillers or other chemicals. I haven't used them yet. Should produce far less ash and give you higher heat output and  the uniformity of the classic briq. Should be able to more easily reuse the leftovers with the lack of fillers which absorbed a lot of moisture. I'm anxious too. I know Rockwood was working on a similar product. No word if this is his doing or if he is still tinkering with his own. They are in the premium lump price range though.
    Cool.  Will pick up a couple of bags next time in Pete.

Hard to beat original K sales on the holidays, but the Weber stuff looks and burns great.  Would shine in the 14.5 and 18.5 WSMs, or snaking in the WSMs or kettles.  The 22 WSM is a hoss, inhales a a big bag and a half, original would be best for that beast.

Kind of confusing now with all these K choices.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Sounds like the Stubbs briqs. Loved that stuff. Cleaned out Lowes a few years back when they had a YUGE sale. Still have a few bags I think. 

How much are the Weber briqs?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Focker
    Options
    caliking said:
    Sounds like the Stubbs briqs. Loved that stuff. Cleaned out Lowes a few years back when they had a YUGE sale. Still have a few bags I think. 

Same here, would clean Stubbs out in a heartbeat.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• pgprescott
    Options
    caliking said:

25 for 20# bag. The bag is nice though  
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,351
    Options
    caliking said:

My Lowe's has them for $20/bag.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Weber-20-Pound-S-Charcoal-Briquettes/1000156169
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• pgprescott
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    caliking said:

Yeah, we can't do that. They by a trainload. Then they give it away. Huh
  • pgprescott
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    caliking said:

Yeah, we can't do that. They by a trainload. Then they give it away. Huh
    I stand corrected. It is 20/ bag. Duh!