Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Carrots

Options
Several discussions about SV lately so I tried something new (for me). Carrots in a bag with butter, sugar, salt and pepper. SV for about an hour at 186°, then dump carrots and liquid from the bag into a pan on high heat. Toss constantly for about two minutes to glaze. Very tender, sweet and delicious!! 

Best carrots ever!!!

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/06/sous-vide-glazed-carrots-recipe.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Delicious indeed. SV excels with carrots. 
  • rockymountaineggster
    Options
    I've made the same carrots, they are almost too good to be true. I substituted honey for sugar last time and they came out even better.
    Parker, Colorado
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I've made the same carrots, they are almost too good to be true. I substituted honey for sugar last time and they came out even better.
    Thanks! I like the honey idea. Next time...

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Those are a go to around here.  About 2 times a month.  A sprig of rosemary is a nice change up too.  
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Nice. I do that, but subbing the butter for some frozen orange juice cubes juice (so the OJ doesn't get sucked into the vacuum sealer).  I'm doing this on Tuesday with some SV rib eyes finished on the MM, I'll try adding some butter as well as the OJ. And/or maybe some honey.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Tarragon is perfectly matched for carrots!!!  You may want to give that a try next time.
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Not to hijack my own thread, but here's another delicious carrot dish. Francis Mallmann's burnt carrots! Much quicker and all you need is a skillet.
    Burnt Carrots with Goat Cheese Parsley Arugula and Crispy Garlic Chips  Santiago Solo Monllor
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/burnt-carrots-with-goat-cheese-parsley-arugula-and-crispy-garlic-chips-354729

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I use brown sugar, but I'll try honey next time.
    Phoenix 
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
     I have been SV carrots at 185 for a couple years and they always come out great typical is butter seasoning and a sprig of rosemary, SV is also a great way to do  potatoes. 
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
     I have been SV carrots at 185 for a couple years and they always come out great typical is butter seasoning and a sprig of rosemary, SV is also a great way to do  potatoes. 
    Yo, Chuck, any favorite SV potato recipes? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • rockymountaineggster
    Options
    blasting said:

I use brown sugar, but I'll try honey next time.
    I may need to try brown sugar, that sounds awesome.
    Parker, Colorado
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Was just reading the comments after the recipe at Serious Eats. One guy says he tried SV vs steamed vs microwaved and it was hard to tell the difference between SV and nuking! Put all ingredients in a container, nuke til done and then into the skillet to glaze. A few minutes vs over an hour (with preheat)?

Imagine the possibilities! Instead of a SV>seared ribeye, just nuke it for a couple of minutes, then sear. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I'll let someone else try nuking the ribeye. But who knows, maybe on low power....

i tried the SV carrots once. I still prefer them tossed with a little oil and salt and roasted in the oven. They get sweet, and have some almost burnt spots. Veggies are something I really want to learn more about using SV for
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    I've done these as well but substituted maple syrup in for the sugar. They really are amazing!
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Going to have to try this now. Sounds good and gives me a reason to use the SV. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.