Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cook on new kj

Options
ryantt
ryantt Posts: 2,532
well today was the day, fired up the kj to 450 and roasted the steaks indirect until close to done.  Tossed them down on the lower rack and cooked to 125-130

So so what did I think?  Well it gets up to temp in a hurry compared to my XL.  I like the split stones and multi level cooking option.   Is it better or worse than an egg......no they cook about the same.  

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

Comments

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    my recommendation is to do that cook, 2 zone, in your XL egg -  better temperature control than in the large kjoe. 

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    ryantt said:
    well today was the day, fired up the kj to 450 and roasted the steaks indirect until close to done.  Tossed them down on the lower rack and cooked to 125-130

So so what did I think?  Well it gets up to temp in a hurry compared to my XL.  I like the split stones and multi level cooking option.   Is it better or worse than an egg......no they cook about the same.  

Nice looking steak.
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     Well, it looks to me like the steak has no clue what color the ceramics are...

Nice job!
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Looks good Ryan. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • ryantt
    Options
    Thanks @NPHuskerFL

@CtTOPGUN you are correct. The steaks had no clue my cooker was red today.....but my neighbors did, "is that red one like the green one"? 

@tjv I agree it may do a better job in my xl, but I wanted to play with the new one today.  

• ryantt
    Options
    @tjv do you sell anything for the kj, like a grill extender?   I'd like to buy something from you one of these days.