Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza stone

Options
anyone ever preheat their pizza stone in the house oven then transfer it to the egg?

its taking me about 2 hrs to get the stone surface temp to around 550ish degrees once in the egg. 
XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• jetman96
    jetman96 Posts: 127
    Options
    I do just the opposite. Because I use oil in my pizza dough, I don't want the stone too hot when the pie goes on. So, when the dough comes out of the breadmaker, I take the stone from inside the house and put it on the egg (elevated above PS legs up and grid, with fire bricks stood on edge.) Then, while I'm prepping the pie, the stone is heating up. Egg is at 450, and I'm done in 12 minutes. Cheese melted perfectly and crust isn't burnt.
    Cincinnati, OH
    Large BGE
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I have been lately, I'll turn the oven on 450 and put then stone in while getting the grill prepped. I'm not sure it makes a big difference. I had been doing it with the last pizza stone before it cracked a few months ago but it was a pampered chef only rated to 450. I have a CGS pizza stone now I like much better. I did notice the first pizza I did the other day took longer than the rest (when letting the stone come to temp in the egg), I'll probably keep testing to see if there is a difference in methods.
    LBGE
    AL
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Well, sh*t! Just tried to put the stone in the oven and it wouldn't fit!
    i have a XL stone 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Never heard of preheating in an oven anyway. Just light the lump, put the stone in and let it all come up to temp together. Leave the vents wide open until within 20-25° of target. Then close the vents down to about where they should be for desired temp. No way that should take 2 hours.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    No.  Can't see any reason to and several reasons not to carry around a hot stone.  It shouldn't take that long to heat up a pizza stone.  I try to give it an hour, but many can't wait that long.  Is your stone one of the really thick ones? - 1"?
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    No.  Can't see any reason to and several reasons not to carry around a hot stone.  It shouldn't take that long to heat up a pizza stone.  I try to give it an hour, but many can't wait that long.  Is your stone one of the really thick ones? - 1"?
    Yea it's like an inch thick. 
  • jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    Options
    I like to let everything heat up together, that way the ceramics in the egg are hot as well. 
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    Most pizza stones are 5/8" (some cheaper ones come less).  A one inch stone will take a longer time to heat up. It is a bit of overkill unless cooking multiple pies.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Most pizza stones are 5/8" (some cheaper ones come less).  A one inch stone will take a longer time to heat up. It is a bit of overkill unless cooking multiple pies.
    It's whatever BGE sells. I'll measure here shortly when it cools down..
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    With electricity rates here in Ontario, it's cheaper to heat in the egg and leave it there.  Plus I don't want to hold a hot pizza stone.

Actually, I don't like the stone too hot, if it is my crust cooks before the toppings.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    It's whatever BGE sells. I'll measure here shortly when it cools down..
    The BGE ones are 5/8".  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    ^^^ then that's it
  • victor1
    victor1 Posts: 225
    Options
    probably a lot of good ways...My choice:  PS legs up, BGE stone elevetated on grate, heat to about 725, pizza done in about 8-10 minutes. eat and repeat.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I start heating everything at least 45-60 min before cooking - I go with full load, platesetter-LU, grate, firebricks, pizza stone.   And to get things going, use a leaf blower to get all of the lump hot real fast - then leave the vent open no DFMT/cap.  Temp is 600-700.   

Then, I use Reynolds parchment/foil (p on one side, foil on the other) foil side down under the crust for the first 2-4 minutes, then pull the foil for the last 3-4 minutes to get it nice and golden brown.  Plenty of heat in the dome to perfectly cook the toppings (goto pizza is double pepperoni/onions/mushrooms).  
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Here's my method. 

PS feet down, sitting on top of fire ring NOT in grooves for feet. (3) small bricks about 2" thick placed in a pyramid on PS then pizza stone on top of that. Try to get it stabilized at 550ish. My pizzas take about 4-5 min to cook 

• dsleight
    dsleight Posts: 101
    Options
    Unless I am mistaken, firebricks are insulators.  You may be better off using something else to space the stone up.....maybe try aluminum foil balls just to see if it helps.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    anyone ever preheat their pizza stone in the house oven then transfer it to the egg?

its taking me about 2 hrs to get the stone surface temp to around 550ish degrees once in the egg. 
    Yes.  Makes perfect sense.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    When I did pizza tonight I used a spider with a 13" stone as a deflector then an AR with the grate on top and a 15" pizza stone on that.

i waited until the dome was at 200 before putting the top stone on.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options

Never heard of preheating in an oven anyway. Just light the lump, put the stone in and let it all come up to temp together. Leave the vents wide open until within 20-25° of target. Then close the vents down to about where they should be for desired temp. No way that should take 2 hours.
    Thanks for that info. I let my egg get too hot tonight. The tip about shutting down 20-25 degrees before target temp is what I will try in the future.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    I used sockets last night!!! Got me up
    above the felt line!! Lol

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I tend to agree with dsleight that the fire bricks are part of the issue getting things up to temp.
    Stillwater, MN
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Here's the setup. From felt line to top of pizza stone, I'm at 2". 

Stone is 3/4" thick btw. 
  • dsleight
    dsleight Posts: 101
    Options
    Honestly, I would lose the bricks.  That is like 1/3 of the stone that is not heating up directly.  You are relying on the heat to transfer through the 3/4" stone in order to heat the areas the bricks are shielding.   You could pick up three 1" copper tees to space up the stone....
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    ill head to Lowes and see what they have in copper and go with that
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    No reason to make a Lowes run. Crumpled up balls of foil will work just as well, plus you can clean the grid with em if necessary.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Honestly, I think that pizza stone is to large for high temp pizza cooks in the XL. I know it's made for the XL, but I think it's better suited for people cooking store bought pies at 375-400 degrees. It blocks to much air flow. Especially as you push it higher into the curved dome.
    A large wok ring makes a good spacer. They are cheap at most restaurant supply stores or asian markets.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have the same XL stone and I let it get to temp in about 45 minutes to an hour.  I go feet down on the PS, place the grate in and then put my pizza stone on.  I have an older molder of the fire box so my grate is at the felt level.  I have had no problems getting my pizza stone up to temp in an hour or little less.  I also cook between 450 to 500.  Pies take about 6 to 8 minutes.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SamFerrise
    Options
    jetman96 said:
    I do just the opposite. Because I use oil in my pizza dough, I don't want the stone too hot when the pie goes on. So, when the dough comes out of the breadmaker, I take the stone from inside the house and put it on the egg (elevated above PS legs up and grid, with fire bricks stood on edge.) Then, while I'm prepping the pie, the stone is heating up. Egg is at 450, and I'm done in 12 minutes. Cheese melted perfectly and crust isn't burnt.

I always give my stones time to soak up the heat.  There is no short cut here.   You can't do pizza on the spur of the moment.  Planning is an important ingredient. 

Simple ingredients, amazing results!