Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Prime Filets tonite, CI sear on MiniMax

have the 5 Qt Double Dutch that was used to make broccoli parmesean bake in lower level and the filets and scallops were seared in the upper level.  Just me and my 12 year old son tonite.  he loved everything.  I Did too, especially the talk we had when i was showimg him how to use the minimax.

The sous vide takes steak and scallop making to a whole new level....

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Fantastic cook! What temp did you sous vide?
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    @Hans61:  steaks were Lobels prime filets that i got as a gift.  Sous vided them at 118, then seared on ci for 90 seconds per side and rolled them along  the edges in the bottom of the pan to char up the bacon for another 30 seconds per 1/4 turn...perfection was achieved

The scallops were sous vided at 124F and they were cooked up in the pan with some bacon fat and were cooked for 30 seconds per side.   

By the way all the meat started out frozen tonight.  It took about 30 mins to get the steaks sous vide temp perfect and maybe 20 mins to get the scallops right.   

Awesome awesome meat tonight....
  • What a great meal!
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259

I'm new to sous vide and have only done steaks so far.  First couple of times they were very good and enjoyed by all.  Really makes getting the doneness foolproof.  Last time I used a method I saw on a sous vide website that called for seasoning(olive oil, kosher salt, coarse black pepper) and searing 60 seconds on each side and then put them in the bath.  After 1 1/2 hours at 125, removed and seared again in butter for another 60 seconds each side.  They had more flavor than the steaks seared only at the end. 

Yours looks great and I'll definitely add scallops next time.

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• westernbbq
    Thanks @Webass!    The scallops were put in ci pan right after steaks were removed and with some of the bacon drippings left over after the steak sear made the scallops unbelievav

Let us know how yours turnsnout...
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Yep, that's a grand slam. Not the Dennys kind either. Nice!
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Nice work there brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • westernbbq
    thanks Big Green Egg Bretheren!   

Honestly, i would not have known about all these extra tricks, such as sous vide, proper meat temps, cast iron searing, etc without this forum.

So, hopefully someone out there, either a newbie to eggimg or a seasoned veteran can learn something from whatever meager comtribution to this forum i can make....

One other interesting note:   the Lodge Double Dutch 5Q is really easy to clean, if the instrux are followed... Hot water, non metallic but stiff bristle brush and then completely dry it and wipe with oil and it os ready to go

That broccoli cheesy garlic DO concoction was a big hit with my son, who tends to be a picky eater