Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egrets Famous Chili

Options
Big old pot of best chili around finishing up on egg for church Souper Bowl luncheon tomorrow.  There will be no leftovers to haul back home. 

Comments

• Gamecockeggman
    Options
    It will be a sad ride home... But let not your heart hurt as it was for a good cause.... =)
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • SmokinTiger81
    Options
    Sad ride home?    Must be a gamecock thing I guess.   Could not resist that fat pitch. 
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    It will be a sad ride home... But let not your heart hurt as it was for a good cause.... =)
    It hurts.... well deserved....  FOR NOW!!!

lol.  You earned that one.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
  • SmokinTiger81
    Options
    We did suffer for 5 years in a row not too long ago.  It swings back and forth over time
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    I'm sure I can speak for both of us when I say it wouldn't be fun any other way.  
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Looks fantastic!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Big old pot of best chili around finishing up on egg for church Souper Bowl luncheon tomorrow.  There will be no leftovers to haul back home. 
    That looks awesome........especially awesome since I was hankering for some yesterday and found out I had already used the last one in the freezer~~~!!! :o
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You know, that looks mighty fine!! Maybe it's time I tried this again. I made it once, sorta. I never was one for a lot of heat and John says, right up front, this is "definitely not for sissies"! :lol: When I tried it, I left out several ingredients, like the serranos and the rotel, and it was STILL too hot for this old wuss.

That was several years ago and I've come around a bit. I even eat habaneros now! =) And I've made a bowl or three of Red that I usually add more heat to because the stock recipe just isn't hot enough. I'm not gonna eat a ghost pepper any time soon, but I may give @egret another chance. Even with the beans! 

I mean, really... just LOOK at that picture!! 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    That is some good stuff!  I have made it a couple of times.  I loved it.  It was a bit too hot for my family though....
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    recipe?
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
  • SmokinTiger81
    Options
    Thanks for the notes, it was all eaten.  It does have some heat but very good for folks that like things a little spicy.  And it is not at that discomfort heat level, just a nice bold heat with very good flavors as always.   
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Ingredients:
    • Olive Oil
    • 1 1/2 lbs. ground Chuck
    • 1 lb. Italian Sausage (casing removed)
    • 2 cups Onion (chopped)
    • 1 Green Bell Pepper (seeded and chopped)
    • 2 Jalapeno Chiles (seeded and chopped fine)
    • 1-2 Serrano Chiles (seeded amd chopped fine)
    • 1 Tbls. Garlic (minced)
    • 1 (28 oz.) can Diced Tomatoes and liquid
    • 1 (15 oz.) can Diced Tomatoes and liquid
    • 1 can Rotel
    • 2 cans (15 oz. each) Pinto or Dark Kidney Beans (drained)
    • 3 Tbls. Chili Powder
    • 1 Tbls. Ancho Chile Powder
    • 1 1/2 Tbls. ground Cumin
    • 1 tsp. Cocoa Powder
    • 1 tsp. ground Cinnamon
    • 2 Bay Leaves
    • 1 tsp. Tabasco Sauce
    • 1 tsp. dried Oregano
    • 3 Tbls. Dizzy Pig Cow Lick Steak Rub
    • 2 cups Beef Broth
    • 1 cup Dry Red Wine
    • 2-3 dried Chili Peppers (chipotle, ancho, etc.) to float on top
    • Salt and fresh ground Pepper to taste
    • Wood Chunks
    Instructions:

Preheat your Egg to 350° F. with inverted plate setter (legs up). Place dutch oven in the egg on the plate setter and add 2 Tbs. olive oil. 

Add the ground chuck and sausage (break up into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon). Add 2 or 3 fist-sized chunks of wood to coals. Close lid and cook for about 1 hour, stirring every 10-15 minutes. Remove dutch oven from egg, remove meat and drain on paper towels. Wipe dutch oven dry with paper towels. 

Return dutch oven to egg, add more olive oil and saute´ onions, green pepper, jalapenos, and serrano(s) until limp. Add garlic and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and cook, uncovered, for about 2 hours (add water as needed to prevent drying). 

Note : After the mixture starts to simmer, you can reduce the dome temperature to 300-325 degrees F. Remove bay leaves and dried chiles, correct seasoning and serve. 

Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Great looking pot of chili!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    This is still my favorite chili. I am often lazy and mix up something from a kit, but I still add some things vs from this recipe like cinnamon and cocoa (of dark chocolate). 

I really want to try this with the "over the top" giant meatball method.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.