Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Teppanyaki/Hibachi chicken on Blackstone question

I'm not sure if Blackstone questions belong in OT or not.   Finally going to use my new 28" after seasoning it up last weekend.   For anyone who has done a hibachi/teppanyaki style, what heat setting did you go with?   And do you recommend dicing the chicken pre or post cook?   
--Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
28" Blackstone
South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    On my 36 I heat it up at medium but keep one outside burner lower to rest cooked stuff on.  The most important thing is having absolutely everything ready to go because it all happens amazingly fast.  This includes having your serving platter nearby.  I dice the chicken pre cook as this yields more color/flavor.  Good luck.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Thank you sir.   Looking forward to this one for sure

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    And do you recommend dicing the chicken pre or post cook?   
    Been a while since I visited a teppanyaki grill so I just skimmed thru a couple of YouTube videos to see how the pros do chicken. Looks like this guy places the whole breast on the grill, goes on to other things, then flips it after a while, but only just before dicing. Must be a fairly cool spot because it sits there for several minutes before he does anything else to it. Then, he moves it to a hotter spot, cuts it into bite size and finishes the cook. When he cuts it, it's mostly still raw.

See 8:45 when he puts it on and 11:20 when he cuts it up.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_9KpO4IEro

I could actually TASTE the flavors while watching this! I've never done it, but now that I have a 17" Blackstone (which I haven't even seasoned yet), I have GOT to give it a try! Need to figure out what's in all those squeeze bottles though!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Wasn't happy with the presentation, so no pics.   But flavor was very good, and that's a good sign I suppose considering I have no idea what i was doing.   It definitely moved very quickly once everything started going.

I definitely should have gotten a 36" though, and can't imagine teppanyaki on a 17".   Pics next time.   

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone