Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on lighting lump with 91% soaked cotton balls

Options
I've read through some discussions, but most evolve into the myriad ways of lighting the lump.   I've always used the starter cubes but going to give the alcohol-soaked cotton balls a try.   For those who have used this method, I'm just curious how many you use?  3-4 for a lower temp burn and maybe 5-6 for regular grilling?
--Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
28" Blackstone
South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.

Comments

• pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    I usesd to use 91% alcohol to light my lump but never put it on cotton balls, I just squirted it around like lighter fluid. You need to be observant when using alcohol as you cannot always see the flames and they are intense. While it worked fine I switched methods after using a couple of bottles as not all groceries around me carried the 91% and making a trip to a pharmacy to be able tolight my egg seemed silly to me. We always have paper towels and cooking oil at my house so that is what I use now.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    Never tried alcohol. Oil and paper towel works good for me so that's what I stick with . 
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I have used 91% only (no cotton balls) for over a year. It is the easiest and most convenient method for me. I've tried lots of methods suggested, but this is what I have found best for me.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• clemsontyger97
    Options
    I've been pleasantly surprised by using only a couple of cotton balls the last two cooks.   Gave them a good soak and within minutes I had hot coals.  For now this is my go-to.
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Hntnhrd said:
    Never tried alcohol. Oil and paper towel works good for me so that's what I stick with . 

I roll up pieces of paper towel, put a knot in the middle to keep them together, stuff in a pickle jar and pour in some sunflower oil.  Maybe 10-12 in the jar, the oil disperses through all the towels over time.  Open the lid, pull a couple out and off you go.