Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Post: Rib X-Factor Elusive

NJEgger
NJEgger Posts: 9
Hi.  I've been enjoying this forum and happy to finally start participating (after waiting a very long time for forum approval).

I love my egg like it's a child.  I've done a bunch of cooks (all indirect) since I got my egg in November, and everything has come out anywhere from great to fantastic...except ribs.  The first time I did ribs they were ok (beginner's luck), the second time huge fail, and the third time not good and a little fatty - they are missing the x-factor that makes them taste like ribs vs. pork on a bone (didn't stop my wife from licking the bones clean, but I got no enjoyment out of them).  The first two times I worked out a lot of bugs, so I thought the third time was going to be great.  My theory is that I'm missing the x-factor because I'm not wrapping, but before I waste another few slabs, I want to get some feedback.  Here's some more information / lessons that I've learned in the first three rib cooks:

- I like baby backs more than spare/st. louis
- Don't rub too far in advance (creates hammy texture)
- I like my rub ratios (not too salty, nice and peppery)
- Trim as much fat as possible
- Dome temp 280-290
- Mix of 2 big apple chunks and 2 big hickory chucks

If I do all of the above, follow the 2-2-1 method and sauce at the very end right before wrapping again to rest, will my ribs actually taste like ribs next time?

Would love some feedback.  Thanks everyone!
XL Egg hatched November 2016

Comments

• HellrodKC
    HellrodKC Posts: 174
    Can you elaborate more on what was a "failure" for those 2nd and 3rd cooks?

Looking over the details you did provide, I have a few thoughts/comments...

-I have never trimmed fat off ribs. Only "trimming" I do is removing the silver skin from the back
    -Temperature range is fine, but I think that high would shorten the cook times. 2-2-1 would probably be "fall off the bone" which is great if that's what you want. I prefer some bite still, personally. 
    -I also don't wrap. I keep it simple, but again, personal preference. 
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Lucky day for you. Someone bumped "Car Wash Mike's" rib technique to the front page. Perfect for babybacks, IMO. You will find most traditionalists smoke at low temps. But plenty love the higher temp turbo methods equally. I like the slow rendering for myself.

I do not enjoy the "boiled meat" texture of wrapped ribs. Others love the fall off the bone results it does yield. To me I actually want the ribs to taste like pork on a bone. But we all have different desires.

What in particular do you think you are missing?

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • NJEgger
    NJEgger Posts: 9
    edited January 2017
    @HellrodKC - The fail I was speaking about is tasting like pork on a bone, so sounds like it could be that's some folks' preference, but not mine.  Perhaps I've been trying to be a purist, but it's possible I like the unsophisticated super saucy, messy, mushy ribs.

@CtTOPGUN - same answer... just tasted like pork to me, not "ribs"
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Welcome.  CWM ribs are pretty popular here for sure and consistently good.  I agree with no need to trim fat.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I have trimmed some of the thick fat from my BB ribs. Should not hurt anything.
    I think the taste you dislike is your ribs tasting a little like ham more than pork?
    Try to avoid the ribs that are cryo packed with a sodium solution. This is done to help with flavor and help keep them moist for the people who oven bake and fast cook on the gasser.
    Great notes above on your cooks.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    @NJEgger -  first up welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  It seems like the great vetting process for the forum needs to be cleaned-up.  
    You likely answered your question above with "...Perhaps I've been trying to be a purist, but it's possible I like the unsophisticated super saucy, messy, mushy ribs."

The goal is to produce what you enjoy not what you think you should like just because....If you want super saucy and fall off the bone ribs, go for it.  Use your favorite sauce and foil 'em up.  Just give it a go.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    edited January 2017
    No trim. Fat=Flavor. It renders mostly out if they are cooked properly.  I'm a 250 -275 guy. Simple bones down with a mop of Tennessee Red at the 2  - 2.5 mark. Baste them 2-3 times til done, usually aroun 3.5 - 4.5 hours. I do the toothpick test. They pick goes in and out like butter. You'll know. I don't like fall off the bone. If you do, I'd recommend the wrap. Maybe 45-1hr at the 2.5 hr mark then take them out the rest of the way. Good luck. 

I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Don't try to solve the entire problem at once. Figure out what consistency you like, what smoke wood you like, the flavor of the rub.... which adult supervisory beverage helps you most...

you may have better taste than the average hack around here who throws on some rub, adds a chunk or two of whatever wood is handy and bangs out a rack of ribs in 90 minutes (me). Turbo ribs for the win. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Thanks everyone for the great feedback!  @Photo Egg, is all cryo-pac sealed with sodium or do I have to read the label carefully?
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    IMHO  I would suggest a lower cooking temp. I like to keep them around 250 or lower. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    FWIW, your recipes will likely evolve over time as you try different things and might never be exactly the same. At least that's my personality. Others are strict by the book recipe followers. No shame in either.