Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rub -- Do I do it the night before the cook?

Options
Kjunbob
Kjunbob Posts: 118
Sorry to be asking so many questions.. But as I stated in another posting, I am doing a butt tomorrow.  

But I am wondering if I should apply the rub on the night before the cook and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight, or just do it right before the cook?  I have read that by applying the rub the night before, can cause the butt to tend to taste like ham.  Another consideration is heavy rain may be going on when I have to start the fire, which could present challenges.  I know that it won't affect the cook, other than possible issues in starting, and me getting wet checking it.  If it is raining heavily and I can't get the fire started in time, I might postpone this until the next day, which would mean that it might be rubbed and in the refrigerator for 36 hours before the cook starts.   My gut says that I should be safe here, and just rub in the morning after I make a go/no go decision for the day so that it doesn't sit rubbed for a long period.  

Thoughts?  and Thanks! 
Large Egg.  New Orleans Area

Comments

• As a rookie, I am usually reading quite a bit. Great reading on the site below. Read this bit on "dry brining" and then on applying rubs. Clear it right up for you.

In short. Salt early, rub just before going on the Egg.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/dry_brining.html

I'm a father, husband and a veteran and I love food. Cooking it, thinking about it and eating it.

Equipment: Large BGE with KickAsh basket and SmokeWare SS Chimney cap

28 inch Blackstone griddle

Kenmore Gasser storage unit/overflow cooker

Click here to read more about my cooking adventure!

New Berlin, WI

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    it's not possible to make the butt taste like ham (which would equate to curing it) by applying rub overnight.

takes a solid month to dry cure a ham, under a pile of salt and under pressure.

rub the ribs or butt whenever it is convenient for you.

even if it did dure the meat, it wouldn't cure much beyond the surface, and you wouldn't be able to tell it from the smoke ring anyway, which is (in a sense) cured as well
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,052
    Options
    it's not possible to make the butt taste like ham (which would equate to curing it) by applying rub overnight.

even if it did dure the meat, it wouldn't cure much beyond the surface, and you wouldn't be able to tell it from the smoke ring anyway, which is (in a sense) cured as well
    I disagree.  I don't salt my shoulders anymore.  I have done them over night with salt and it did give a "hammy" taste.  No where near a ham, but at least 1/30th of a ham, which did not work for me.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    I usually rub and inject, let sit overnight 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    I just apply the rub while the egg is heating up 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    We should really ask the king of rubbing. Hey @nolaegghead ?
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options

I disagree.  I don't salt my shoulders anymore.  I have done them over night with salt and it did give a "hammy" taste.  No where near a ham, but at least 1/30th of a ham, which did not work for me.
    it's imaginary

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,052
    Options

it's imaginary

Maybe, but I figure the mind is a huge part of taste.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS