Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt -- A few more questions -- Turbo and Foil?

Options
Kjunbob
Kjunbob Posts: 118
As some of you can tell from my other postings, I am a rookie at the Egg, wanting to graduate in EggHeadSchool.  

Two Questions -- At least:

1.  I am about to do my first Pork Butt tomorrow (7 #), after only doing a few chickens prior, and am reading about Turbo.  I presume that means a higher temperature cook.  I think that I will start around 275 and monitor it, and then crank it up a bit if needed to get it done. I want is done by dinner, and will put it on in the morning, probably around 9.  Rain is predicted, so I may have to alter my plans a bit so that I can get the Egg going.  Any thoughts on this?

2,  I read that some people take the Butt off and foil it about midway through.  Why do this?  Is it to help it get through the "Stall" that I have read about?  To minimize the smoke taste?  To reduce the Bark?  Could you please clarify here?  

Thanks
Large Egg.  New Orleans Area

Comments

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Re: turbo temp, I do my butts around 300-320.  Takes about 7-8 hours for a 10 lb butt.  Re: foil, yes it helps push through the stall be restricting evaporation.   Softens up the bark though which isn't an issue for me but some folks prefer a crispier bark. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Paging @nolaegghead. Another local NOLA guy just joined the asylum.  
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    290 to 310 degrees for temp. Plan on about an hour a pound. No need to foil unless you need to push it through for deadline. I do not foil at all while cooking as it does affect bark. Only time I use foil is if it gets done before you need it and place in cooler with towel around it. I will never go back to cooking Butt overnight at 225 to 250 degrees.... 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    @Kjunbob     You should be able to have a pork butt ready for dinner when cooking in the upper 200's if you start it right after breakfast.  Turbo is cooking at high temps in order to get it done fast (like in turbo speed).  There is no universal definition of Turbo cooking temps, but think around 350º or more.  275º is a nice moderate temp.

Rain will not have a big impact. The cooling effect of the rain may require the vents to be open a bit more to generate a bit more heat. If you get a REALLY BIG RAIN, there is a slight chance of too much water entering the top of the egg and impacting the fire (Think summer downpours of the extreme variety).  Normally, the biggest issue with rain is that the cook gets wet tending to the egg and not any significant impact to the actual cooking.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Options
    I now do it by smoking for several hours (say, six) at around 250 (anywhere from 225 to 300), by which time it tends to be in the 165/185 internal range, and then I foil tightly and finish in the oven set to 300 (until it probes like butter and this is usually around internal of 200.  

This started because I need the egg for something else, but I actually prefer it and do it this way regardless, especially in the winter.  It saves me from having to set up my Maverick and it is dead easy to check on compared to going outside (again, no Maverick).  

After it is ready I pull it out and let it rest a good long while before pulling. Getting perfect texture every time this way and the easiest cook is now easier than ever.
    Toronto ON
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Start a bit earlier if you want as you don't want to be stressing over pushing across the finish-line.  Regardless, go til the bone pulls clean and you are there.  It can hold for hours (FTC) if necessary.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.