Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raised Grill -- Naked Whiz

Options
Kjunbob
Kjunbob Posts: 118
I am considering making a device to accomplish a Raised Grill using Stainless Steel Bolts, Nuts and Washers as described in the Naked Whiz site.  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/raisedgrid.htm

But I am wondering, would you place the bottom of the bolt on the indented part of the Fire Ring or the higher part?  Or does it matter?  Also, I can get 5" or 6" bolts locally.  Any recommendation as the site calls for 5 1/4".  I don't suspect that this matters very much as the 5" only would lower it by 1/4" or the 6 inch would raise it by 3/4"

Also, does anyone have direct experience with this approach?  And if so, they indicate that they bent the bolt out slightly.  I imagine that this was somewhat difficult to accomplish.

Thanks
Large Egg.  New Orleans Area

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'll measure mine and post some pics when I get home. But I bet someone will beat me to it. Mine sits on the dips in the fire ring and raises the grid to slightly above the gasket. 

These re are some cool pics I found of mine. It's slightly higher than perfect and it's an XL not a L. 

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    It's really that simple. Don't over think it. You can also get a second grate too if you want to keep the bolts on. Then have a two tier set up sometimes. Or make the second grate a medium so it will fit up in the dome. Or flip the grate with the bolts still on to go direct without having to take them off. 

The point is, don't over think it. 

XLBGE 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Not to spoil a do it yourself project, but check out the raiser from SW. Pretty handy device. And removable. 
  • rockymountaineggster
    Options
    I first tried the bent bolt approach resting on the fire ring. After about a month I changed out the bent bolts for straight with washer and nuts on the end. It stacks perfectly on my stock grid resting on the fire ring and gives me two levels of cooking space or one level raised direct. Much more stable with the bolts unbent and resting on another grate vs bent and on the fire ring.
    Parker, Colorado
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    I built one and realized that after it sees a few cooks the nuts are a PIA to remove and adjust.  Easier to just buy the AR, Woo w/ Extender, or SW grate extensions.

Unless you never plan to raise and lower the grate. Just my experience, YMMV. 
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I did mine with 6 inch stainless bolts. It has been great. I would get 2 grates. My bolts got funky fast. Besides you can do multiple things at once if you get froggy. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Buy a couple cheap-assed Weber grates from Home Despot and bolt those together.  Throw your nice SS BGE grate on top for cooking.  You don't want to bolt/unbolt that stuff.
    Options
    Buy a couple cheap-assed Weber grates from Home Despot and bolt those together.  Throw your nice SS BGE grate on top for cooking.  You don't want to bolt/unbolt that stuff.
    Cheap azz anti-Amercan buziness hippy.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • dbennett561
    Options
    I first tried the bent bolt approach resting on the fire ring. After about a month I changed out the bent bolts for straight with washer and nuts on the end. It stacks perfectly on my stock grid resting on the fire ring and gives me two levels of cooking space or one level raised direct. Much more stable with the bolts unbent and resting on another grate vs bent and on the fire ring.
      I also used this approach, leave the stock grid in and place raised on top. No need to bend.

Tampa, FL
  • Kjunbob
    Kjunbob Posts: 118
    Options
    I first tried the bent bolt approach resting on the fire ring. After about a month I changed out the bent bolts for straight with washer and nuts on the end. It stacks perfectly on my stock grid resting on the fire ring and gives me two levels of cooking space or one level raised direct. 
      I also used this approach, leave the stock grid in and place raised on top. No need to bend.
    So this means that you have two grids, one with the bolts and another without. Right?  Thanks!
    Large Egg.  New Orleans Area
  • dbennett561
    Options
    Kjunbob said:
    I first tried the bent bolt approach resting on the fire ring. After about a month I changed out the bent bolts for straight with washer and nuts on the end. It stacks perfectly on my stock grid resting on the fire ring and gives me two levels of cooking space or one level raised direct. 
    So this means that you have two grids, one with the bolts and another without. Right?  Thanks!
    Correct.

Tampa, FL
  • Nashville_Egger
    Options

There's also the classic brick method
    Large BGE - Nashville, TN
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    We have a time honored tradition of "buying" stuff for our Eggs. So just do like the rest of us broke slobs and buy an AR.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group