Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby back ribs advise...

Chase2016
Chase2016 Posts: 36
edited January 2017 in EggHead Forum
Hey everyone gonna try my first ribs on the BGE this weekend. Looks like from what I'm reading in a lot of post I'm going to try around 275 indirect for about 4 hrs. Do you rap them in foil at all during the cook or just put them on without foil set it and let them roll? Thanks for any input as I don't have much experience at all with ribs on the grill, and I am BRAND new to the BGE. Ribs are one of my favorite foods and I want to learn how to nail them on the BGE!

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,661
    They will be good if you don't wrap them in foil but if you want a fall off the bone texture, in my experience, you need to wrap with a few tablespoons of liquid for one hour.  I prefer almost fall off the bone so I wrap for just 45 minutes.  I like to use apple juice or cider vinegar as a liquid.  Some people add honey but at 275F, you risk burning it so I would avoid unless you add it toward the end of the cook.  Depending on the size of your egg, it may be a good idea to put foil on the ends of the racks after an hour or so to avoid burning the ends.

good luck!

edited January 2017
    Paqman said it all. Now a days I just keep it simple stupid. Smoke, rub, and time. Around 4-5 hours if you pick up the rack about half way and the other half is limp, then your good to go. Likely the only time in your life that's a good thing. 

There are many methods. Can also smoke for 2-3 hours, then foil for 45-1 hour, then sauce and back open for 30-45. It's called the 3.2.1 method but I think 2 hours foiled just turns to mush. 

XLBGE 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    WRT ribs-all good info above and you will find different approaches to the cook.  (Give the search function here a look or add "big green egg" to a google query). All rib cooks are some variation around X-0-0 which translates into the following: Basically ribs are cooked as usual (bone side down for me) for the first X hours. Then they are removed from the cooker and wrapped with liquid (Q sauce, some other liquid for flavoring etc) in a foil pouch with the meat side down. This becomes the first step -0- mentioned above. The sealed ribs are then returned to the cooker.  At the end of the "0" time-frame, the ribs are removed from the foil and then put back on the BGE for the final "0" time-frame.  This is when sauce is added if your desire.  X-X-X defines the cook cycle.  Those of us X-0-0 run without any of the above extras.  It's all in what you like.
    At around 275*F (calibrated (key word) dome) you will likely be short at four hours.  Plan for 5 + to give yourself some room. 
    And to determine when they are finished-use a toothpick and insert in the thickest meat-in and out with no resistance and finished. Also look for a good meat pull-back on the bones.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Awesome stuff! Thanks everyone
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I like mine to have a bit more chew if you will. Not chewy, but not falling apart either. I have done them every way under the sun and currently like to just cook the bones down for 4 hours @250-275. I use the toothpick test for doneness. I will give them a good smoke for the first hour or two then it's just finishing them. I also like to mop them about 2-3 hours in with blues ho Tennessee red. This adds a bit of moisture which softens the hard edges of the bark and the sugar in the sauce will allow some deeper color to develop. I'm on a Bad Byron's Butt Rub kick at the moment. 

There are many ways to get there, you just need to get started on the journey to find your favorite. 

Cheers!
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Depends how you like your ribs...

1.  Fall off the bone, then make sure to use foil.
    2.  Bite through clean but doesn't fall off, then no foil.
    3.  Tough as nails, turbo.

Too bad it's not Friday, HA!
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    edited January 2017

I disagree with @RedSkip. I've never done turbo ribs and have the result be "tough as nails". 

While a low and slow is a fun cook, "Turbo" ribs are great too. Plus, they can be done in less than 2 hours. I usually cook St. Louis style. 

350 raised indirect, drip pan, bone side down for an hour. Then, remove, sauce (if desired), add liquid (apple juice, beer, apple cider vinegar) double wrap in heavy duty foil and cook for another 45 minutes. Rest for 20 and you're ready to eat. 

This is how one of the Mothership chef's did them at the Culinary School BGE class.  Simple, fast and while not fall off the bone, although it can be, it's an easy pull off the bone. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544

I disagree with @RedSkip. I've never done turbo ribs and have the result be "tough as nails". 

While a low and slow is a fun cook, "Turbo" ribs are great too. Plus, they can be done in less than 2 hours. I usually cook St. Louis style. 

350 raised indirect, drip pan, bone side down for an hour. Then, remove, sauce (if desired), add liquid (apple juice, beer, apple cider vinegar) double wrap in heavy duty foil and cook for another 45 minutes. Rest for 20 and you're ready to eat. 

This is how one of the Mothership chef's did them at the Culinary School BGE class.  Simple, fast and while not fall off the bone, although it can be, it's an easy pull off the bone. 
    I think he was ribbing you turbo folks a bit!
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    @pgprescott  Some folks are too literal.  
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited January 2017
    I like mine to have a bit more chew if you will. Not chewy, but not falling apart either. I have done them every way under the sun and currently like to just cook the bones down for 4 hours @250-275. I use the toothpick test for doneness. I will give them a good smoke for the first hour or two then it's just finishing them. I also like to mop them about 2-3 hours in with blues ho Tennessee red. This adds a bit of moisture which softens the hard edges of the bark and the sugar in the sauce will allow some deeper color to develop. I'm on a Bad Byron's Butt Rub kick at the moment. 

There are many ways to get there, you just need to get started on the journey to find your favorite. 

Cheers!
    This is my process as well. 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• YEMTrey

Let me add, only difference is I use Blues Hog Smokey Mtn Sauce and a combo of Meat Church Honey Hog and Honey Hog Hot rub on the ribs.

But wholeheartedly agree that I’ve done this process dozens of times always with great results. 

Steve 

• YEMTrey said:

Let me add, only difference is I use Blues Hog Smokey Mtn Sauce and a combo of Meat Church Honey Hog and Honey Hog Hot rub on the ribs.

But wholeheartedly agree that I’ve done this process dozens of times always with great results. 

I keep reading about Meat Church's Honey Hog, is that available in most BGE stores or is that something I need to order just from their site? 

Cooking for others enjoyment is not only a passionate reward, it's one of the greatest ways to use what God has given me. Wilmore, KY MBG, LBGE

• YEMTrey
    I order it online via their website.
    Steve