Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pastrami flat selection?

Options
Any if you guys who make pastrami, where do you get your flats? Anyone use the vacuumed ones from the store? Buy a whole packer and trim?

my butcher just sells cryo packers and they are good for a whole smoke, but the flats can be thin. 

XLBGE 

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Any if you guys who make pastrami, where do you get your flats? Anyone use the vacuumed ones from the store? Buy a whole packer and trim?

my butcher just sells cryo packers and they are good for a whole smoke, but the flats can be thin. 
    I trimmed a whole packer and used the point for pastrami and the flat for corned beef.  The point is more traditional for pastrami but a flat could work.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • whldch
    whldch Posts: 126
    Options
    I used vacuum packed corned beef from BJ's twice, once I bought a really nice flat from a local mega store. I did see that BJ's sells corned beef round as well as flat, which I will try next time. Raichlin did a show recently on pastrami and used the round which came out nice. I don't need to make enough to justify getting a packer. Remember the meat shrinks down a lot during lo and slo.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @MrCookingNurse, are talking about curing one from scratch or using the corn beef ones?  I have only used the corn beef ones in cryo vac's.  I usually soak them in water for a couple days to pull some of the salt out.  Remember to change out the water after 24 hours.  You can do one day and add some potatoes I have been told as well.  When I do it fallow this recipe.  Seems to come out pretty good each time.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/cornedbeef.html
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    @Ladeback69
    i may be slightly off on my knowledge. I was looking at the VCS'd from Kroger. I thought that was a raw meat that needed to be brined, then smoked. Or is that already corned I just need to "dry" then smoke it?

XLBGE 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    do what bgebrent said, the point makes a world of a difference with pastrami and the boiled corned beef with the same brine on a flat makes great sandwiches as well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    @fishlessman
    so you buy a whole brisket
    brine it
    split flat and point
    smoke the point and corn the flat?

@Ladeback69
    that recipie you linked was exactly what I meant. But I also thought of doing it from scratch. 

XLBGE 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    @fishlessman
    brine it
    split flat and point

@Ladeback69
    that recipie you linked was exactly what I meant. But I also thought of doing it from scratch. 
    i either cheat and buy the corned beef done at the supermarket =) or my local english butcher shop will corn it for me and ill smoke the point. either way the point is just loads better than the flat.  he does not use the pink salts, alll the butchers here make grey corned beef

grey pastrami tied before smoking

Image result for pastrami fishlessman

to the op, if im making pastrami from a flat, i roll it tight and tie it, the now round slice fits a sandwich better

fukahwee maine

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @fishlessman
    brine it
    split flat and point

@Ladeback69
    I found this on Amazing Ribs.  I have always wanted to try and so one from scratch just haven't had the time to do it yet.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/close_to_katzs_home_made_pastrami.html
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    @MrCookingNurse -- There's two different things you might want to think through:

1)  If what you want to make is what's called Pastrami at a decent deli, you can't make that from the flat.  The fatty stuff that's in the point is just part of what makes pastrami pastrami.

2)  That said, though, if you don't like the fattier point, and what you really want is the leaner flat seasoned, cured and smoked like pastrami, then by all means use the flat and call it whatever you want to call it.  No one will arrest you if you call it pastrami!

I just wanted to clarify that if you really want to make pastrami that's like "real" pastrami, you can't make that from the flat.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    @Theophan
    im going to take your word for it! You look like quiet the mans man in that pic. I'm going to sams tomorrow and will see what I can come up with. 

Amazing ribs has a great write up. I'm just not sure how much I wanna try my first go. It's kinda hectic at my place, wife keeps me on a short leash on the weekends. 

XLBGE 
  • Theophan
    Options
    @Theophan
    ... You look like quiet the mans man in that pic...
    <guffawing>  That's me in the picture, alright, but I'm a frail old guy, these days, no lumberjack.  Thanks for the chuckle, though!  :)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Point, flat, flank....doesn't matter.  Pastrami is the treatment using a cure, smoke, spices.  Turkey is even used.

Usually it's more economical to buy a whole brisket.  If you want to cure (corn) the point or flat, separate it, or do the whole thing. 

While the point has more intermuscular fat, the flat has the cap.  It's not unusual to make a pastrami out of the flat. 
    Options
    The flat and the point will work but I prefer the point.

For he brine and ideas, you can have a look here:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1196872/montreal-smoked-meat-pastrami-style-deboned-short-ribs

And here:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1187110/montreal-smoked-meat-it-is

I now can say that I prefer a wet brine.

The time spent in steam before eating is very important.

Options
    I think the link @Ladeback69 posted from Amazingribs does a good job of explaining it.  I have used this recipe but cheated with a grocery store corned beef. I could only find a flat or round here in GA. 

Interesting discussion on the flat vs point for Pastrami.  I found this video about Katz and it does look like they brine/cure the entire brisket, then they use the flat for corned beef and the point for pastrami. 

If you are not planning to eat the whole hunk of pastrami at once, I found it easier just to slice it and steam only the amount you need rather than steaming the entire hunk of beef. You can also use steam to reheat it for future sammies. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Theophan
    Options
    Point, flat, flank....doesn't matter.  Pastrami is the treatment using a cure, smoke, spices.  Turkey is even used.
    HERESY!!!  HERESY!!!  HERESY!!!
    (OK, just kidding...  I don't really care what you want to call pastrami.  But to continue ranting just for fun...)
    Next you'll be trying to tell us that a glass of chilled vodka is a Martini...  Nope.  A Martini is gin and vermouth stirred with ice and strained into a martini glass, usually with an olive or a twist. A martini-like drink made with vodka isn't a martini, it's a vodka martini.  Chilled vodka without any vermouth isn't even a vodka martini, it's just chilled vodka.  And don't get me started on "chocolate martinis" <shudder>.  ;)

Similarly, "turkey pastrami" isn't "pastrami" -- it's turkey pastrami.  No problem with turkey pastrami if that's what floats your boat.  But it's not "pastrami."  It's "turkey pastrami."  Look it up in the dictionary: "pastrami" is made from beef.  

Can you make turkey kielbasa?  Sure!  But it's not kielbasa -- it's turkey kielbasa...

When there's already a perfectly good word for something, and everybody knows what it means, why use that word for something else? It just makes confusing something that used to be clear.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    really get the point or the whole packer if your going to do the work, the point is just better. st pats day is coming, two weeks after the corned beef is on sale, i stock up on corned beef points at that time just for pastrami. theres a place near me that makes smoked salmon pastrami sandwiches, tastes just like smoked gravlax ;)
    fukahwee maine

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    really get the point or the whole packer if your going to do the work, the point is just better. st pats day is coming, two weeks after the corned beef is on sale, i stock up on corned beef points at that time just for pastrami. theres a place near me that makes smoked salmon pastrami sandwiches, tastes just like smoked gravlax ;)

Not to hijack the original questions, but have you ever sous vided (<<word?) the corned beef, and then smoked or vice versa? I know you talked of steaming before, but just wondering if you could sous vide to get that texture somehow. Just trying to find a fool proof way to make great pastrami without having to buy a pressure cooker

• fishlessman
    Options
    poster said:

Not to hijack the original questions, but have you ever sous vided (<<word?) the corned beef, and then smoked or vice versa? I know you talked of steaming before, but just wondering if you could sous vide to get that texture somehow. Just trying to find a fool proof way to make great pastrami without having to buy a pressure cooker

have not tried the sous vide on it. my pressure cooker is the 20 dollar bed bath beyond one that i bought just for pastrami.
    fukahwee maine

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Found a cute little briskie at the Walmart. Now to finish cure recipie list. 

XLBGE