Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs Inspired by Pacman and his Instant Pot

Judy Mayberry
Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
edited January 2017 in EggHead Forum
I didn't know what an Instant Pot was till Pacman posted. It was very interesting, and I remembered I had defrosted Costco baby backs (comes with membranes removed!) and a 7-qt. pressure cooker. I googled and found this Instant Pot BBQ Ribs recipe:

http://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/easy-bbq-instant-pot-ribs/

I followed it along with instructions from a long-ago poster who added that he sweated onions, carrots, and garlic, then added a cup of beef broth below the trivet.

Heavy dose of Meat Church "Honey Hog BBQ" rub.

Cooked at top pressure for 19 minutes.

Pale ribs.

Went on a 400° raised direct Egg with a hickory chunk and brushed with my FAVORITE sauce, J.K.'s Wild Boar Soul BBQ Sauce (courtesy of RRP) till glazed.

VERDICT: Not nearly as tasty as either low-and-slow or Turbo Ribs, but very good texture. I missed the lovely hickory smoke flavor. BUT I got the smoke flavor when I dipped it in that great sauce (it has Liquid Smoke in it).

But this is important: I let the pressure cooker sit for a few hours before cleaning it up. It was LOADED WITH FAT! More than usually found in the drip pan. I wiped out the congealed fat and my kitchen pipes were very grateful. I wouldn't have seen it if I'd poured it down the drain right after cooking.

And here's a shortcut for half-hour baked potatoes: Wash and prick/stab the potatoes. Microwave for 5 minutes while an oven preheats to 450° (I use a countertop oven). Brush potatoes with oil and dust with kosher salt. Put them on a little rack on a foil-lined tray (the oil drips) and bake for 20 minutes. Test them to see if they need more time. It's a winner!
Judy in San Diego

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    They still look good. I do pulled pork in the pressure cooker from time to time. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• I have to say I wouldn't bother to do ribs in a pressure cooker again. It's actually easier--though longer--to Egg 'em. It isn't till you miss that smoky flavor that you realize it's just delicious pork that you could cook any old way inside the house.
    Judy in San Diego
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Thanks for the compliment Judy, but the J. K's Wild Boar Soul sauce recipe is courtesy of Mike Flaherty clear back in March, 2001. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Thanks for sharing Judy!  I love trying out new techniques.  Sometimes they work, sometimes, not so much..  :)
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.