Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can't wait -- Chicken Thighs

Options
Kjunbob
Kjunbob Posts: 118
I have been wanting a BIgGreenEgg for years, and my wife got one for me for Christmas.  It should be delivered tomorrow.  

I will probably start off slow with doing a few chicken thighs on a slow, indirect cook to keep the temp low on the grill for the first few cooks.  I bought some pecan chips and I plan on seasoning with Poultry Seasoning, Salt, and Black Pepper.  I see that there are a topics and recipes posted here.  Any hints?  One question though that seems to confuse me is "should I use water in the drip pan?"  Also, how long should it take to cook about 4 chicken thighs if I can keep the temp under 250?

Thanks
Large Egg.  New Orleans Area

Comments

• Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    Options
    Welcome aboard. You don't need a water pan with the Egg. I like to brine my thighs in a mixture of sprite and apple juice, then dry them off, rub them down and pin them closed with tooth picks. They should smoke for 60-90 minutes or so, then dunk them in sauce and back on to caramalize. Fuhgetaboutit!
    Im sure the experts here will give some great ideas, but these come out fantastic. 
    I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I actually prefer chicken raised direct but smoked should work on for thighs since they have some fat in them. But please start light on the smoke. Poultry is over powered very quickly and it doesn't take much smoke to make them too smokey. I no longer use wood for chicken.

Good luck and congrats on the new addition. My wife got me some pants for Christmas. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Kjunbob
    Kjunbob Posts: 118
    Options
    Thanks  I would do direct, but I want to keep the temp down.  
    Large Egg.  New Orleans Area
  • SeaCros
    SeaCros Posts: 11
    Options
    You and I both have wonderful wives same here. You will love it as I just fired up mine and now it's cooling off. 
    Steeler fan for life living in Jacksonville, FL
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Kjunbob said:
    Thanks  I would do direct, but I want to keep the temp down.  
    Indirect doesn't manage the temp in the egg, just eliminates line of sight exposure to the burning coals.  You're going to have to manage the temp of the egg with airflow either way.