Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help needed -Turkey with stuffing in

Options
I am doing the Christmas turkey.

The turkey was just handed to me.  It is stuffed. I wasn't planning on that.  I have never done stuffed.  

I have to leave the house at 10:30 am for church and will not be back until 12:30. We are eating at 5 or 530.

My plan is to put it on at 10:30 (LBGE) and pull it off around 430. Rest until eating. 

The bird is 20lbs.

Good plan?
Others with experience with timing on large stuffed bird? 

I have read about the smoke and stuffing and will not put any wood chunks to it.   :s

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
Grand Rapids MI

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Trouble with a stuffed bird is by the time the stuffing is done the bird is over cooked. I'd remove the stuffing and bake it separately.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    She said there is no meat in the stuffing.  Does that make a difference?
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    She said there is no meat in the stuffing.  Does that make a difference?
    No...if she doesn't believe me will she believe Cooks Illustrated? Issue 137 page 17 rule number 1 of 6 turkey roasting rules...Don't stuff! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,406
    edited December 2016
    Options
    The absence of meat makes no difference-it's the getting the interior to temp. As above, go with @RRP's plan.  And once you decide that you are now back in a space you are familiar with.  No worries, you can punch it home in the "after church window" presented. FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I agree with Ron.  Remove the stuffing.  Replace it with a quarted onion, a halved head of garlic, a quartered orange and fresh herbs.  They'll perfume the turkey, help keep it moist and help keep the breasts from overlooking.  No need to add smoke wood on this cook.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 689
    Options
    6 hours may be too long. I'd light the egg when you leave for church and set the vents for 250 or 300. Come home, get the egg to the temp you want and get the turkey ready to go on. I did a 20 pounder in three hours at Thanksgiving, but I did have to increase the temp at the end to get it up to temp.