Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Berkshire 5lb Stuffed Loin Advice needed.

Options
Need some advice on how to properly execute a alb stuffed Berkshire loin. Because this is for 6 people and it is a special occasion I want to do this right.   I am using a boneless roast with the stuffing recipe found here:

http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/2014/04/barbecued-spiral-stuffed-pork-loin-w-bratwurst-apples-and-walnuts/

First Question - With Berkshire should I leave as is or should i brine or marinade?

Secondly, I am looking for an savory herb flavor for the outside that will compliment the inside.  Also, I would really appreciate some cooking technique advice.  Do I roast/direct/indirect/smoke?  I am armed with a new Thermoworks Smoke Thermometer to provide the extra insurance.  

Thanks in advance

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    You ask many questions grasshopper!  Welcome.  My 2 cents which is the value of my advice.  I would brine the loin, recipes abound, for 24 hours.  Garlic, Rosemary and thyme paste with S&P on the outside.
    Roast indirect to IT of 140-145'. Rest 10-15' .  Then slice and serve.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • EggHead Recruit
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    You ask many questions grasshopper!  Welcome.  My 2 cents which is the value of my advice.  I would brine the loin, recipes abound, for 24 hours.  Garlic, Rosemary and thyme paste with S&P on the outside.
    Roast indirect to IT of 140-145'. Rest 10-15' .  Then slice and serve.

I'd like to think that the best sign of intelligence is not based upon what one says but what one asks.....currently that serves me well since I am the one asking questions.  At least that's how I lie to myself.

Any suggestions on time and temp?  I am also coordinating a bunch of oven roasted sides and sous vide as well so timing is of the essence.

Finally, would you set up a fluid/drip pan.  I was thinking of putting some reisling in with fesh herbs...  I can also do a V rack in a cast iron if needed
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Skip the fluid in the drip pan on the egg.  Go straight indirect with a dry drip pan. Run your rig at 375-400 and take your roast to 140 degrees IT.  Let it rest 10-20 minutes then slice and enjoy.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I would cook it indirect low and slow.  225-250F to 140F internal.  It will be done under 2 hours.
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Regardless of the cook process, make sure you air-gap any drip pan off your heat deflector.  You can use washers, small balls of foil, some nuts etc to keep any drippings from burning.  FWIW-
    Edit:  Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.