Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thick pork Chops Searing

Options
I tried reverse searing some thick (1 1/2") pork chops last night that I had brined for 2 hours. Cooked them raised direct at 400* until internal temp of 135* then pulled them. Cranked the Egg up to 650* and put them back on for 1 minute per side. Sorry to say they turned out dry. When I have done chops before and pulled them at 135*, but no reverse searing they turned out perfectly moist. My conclusion - don't try to reverse sear pork chops. They are so lean it does not work. Comments?

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I normally cook mine raised direct on a MM, so there is not a lot of distance between lump and grate level. I normally don't have a prob with dryin out. I do use a heavy coating of rub though, get a nice crust using grill mates smokehouse maple. Keep experimenting....you will figure it out. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Patriot said:
    I tried reverse searing some thick (1 1/2") pork chops last night that I had brined for 2 hours. Cooked them raised direct at 400* until internal temp of 135* then pulled them. Cranked the Egg up to 650* and put them back on for 1 minute per side. Sorry to say they turned out dry. When I have done chops before and pulled them at 135*, but no reverse searing they turned out perfectly moist. My conclusion - don't try to reverse sear pork chops. They are so lean it does not work. Comments?
    I am not a big fan of reverse searing. 

I have cooked bone in Chops using grill grates at 400 no reverse sear. Just turn twice then flip and turn twice. Then leave on the grates until they register 135 internal. No issues with drying out. I usually marinate in Jerk Seasoning before grilling.
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    Seems kinda hot for the initial part of the cook. When I reverse sear, I usually aim for 250-300. Probably had a lot of carry-over cooking. What was the final IT?

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Kayak said:
    Seems kinda hot for the initial part of the cook. When I reverse sear, I usually aim for 250-300. Probably had a lot of carry-over cooking. What was the final IT?
    Agree.  I reverse sear thick chops like I would a thick steak, 250ish, pull, sear at 500+
  • Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Options
    Agreed, I think doing the first part at such a high temp would have the middle at your temp with everything else well over target, plus more carryover.  Of course, other variables like the pork itself, the temp it started at, etc., enter into it before you swear off reverse searing pork chops.  I have done them (at 250) and had them turn out great after a sear.  That said, I have more or less replaced the reverse sear for sous-vide then sear, myself, and not just for pork.
    Toronto ON
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    My comment is that cooking at 400º is searing from the start.  You cannot reverse sear if you are cooking that hot the whole time.  Cooking thick chops at a high temp for the entire time leads to dry chops.  It wasn't the reverse sear part that caused the dryness.  Reverse sears call for two heat cooking - low and then a sear (I prefer the low to be 250-275º).
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    A few issues I have noticed about your method.  

1 - Your reverse part of the cook is too hot.  Try going 250°-275° instead.  At 400° you're searing basically.  

2 - Pulling at 135°.  You probably carried over into 140-145° just by the rest and then you seared, which probably took it another 5-7°, if not more.  

In conclusion, the posted method is a great recipe for shoe leather.  

Give some of this advice a try and see if you can turn your decision around reverse searing.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Patriot
    Options
    Thanks for all the valuable insights. The consensus seems to be that cooking at 400* was too high. Even though the temp in the thickest part was 135 the rest of the meat was probably much higher - then searing at 650 just took it over the top. I will try again cooking at a lower temp before searing.