Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice on Prime Rib - amount vs count of people

Options
My plan was to do a Prime Rib for Christmas dinner. I've done a few but for no more than 4 people. It looks like I will have 13 people at my house for Christmas. Anybody have suggestions on the size of Prime Rib I should get?

Live in Austin/From Arkansas

XL BGE

Comments

• Reltserw
    Options
    If you go Bone-in, I believe the rule of thumb is one bone for every two people. 
  • Arkysmokin
    Options
    Yes it will be bone-in. Sorry I should have specified. Thank you for the information.

XL BGE

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,826
    Options
    a pound per person would be normal for a dinner but for xmas with tons of appetizers you could go less
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    One bone per person especially when a typical Christmas meal, there's so many sides
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,500
    Options
    For starters I would use your previous cook data for four people and scale it up, adjusting for the mix of the additional guests.  But with all the sides etc you could probably get away with about 3/4 pound/person.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Arkysmokin
    Options
    Thank you all. You've been very helpful

XL BGE

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    JustineCaseyFeldown Posts: 867
    edited December 2016
    Options

get yourself a long meat slicer, narrow blade.

then you can easily slice off the ribs all at once, and then slice the 'loaf' that's left it to preferred thickness.

otherwise, you'll be forced into just slicing between the ribs.

if you can talk santa into giving you one for christmas, even better.

chef's knife will work ok for couple bones, but it is easier if you do a larger roast to go with a slicer

that's just what i got from typing "meat slicer, knife" into google.  not pushing any specific brand. 

EDIT: you can have the butcher cut off the bones and tie them back on, but that prevents you from dry aging it for any amount of time, and i dunno, just seems like somethin a man ought to be able to do himself.  though you can untie it (from the butcher's), then salt/pepper/season before tying it back on.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I sometimes have the butcher remove the ribs and tie them back on for roasting. You can do the same. It makes it easier than trying to do it when hot or under pressure. 

Also, more is better cause the leftovers is gooood! Cheers!